Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Yet Another String Loop question

Old 02-19-2004, 10:20 AM

Default Yet Another String Loop question

So after reading many articles and hearing many testimonies on this board and others I decided to put a string loop on my bow this "off season". I brought my bow in for a new string and when the pro shop technician saw my string loop he was like, "whoa be careful with these, I wouldn't use them for hunting, for target yes, hunting no" He said it is harder to get the release on to the loop vs. getting it on the string directly. He also said it would shorten my draw as well as cause me to lose speed.

Now I spoke to a guy at Cabelas who told me it wouldn't shorten my draw if I adjusted my release (made it shorter, I use the Mongoose and this seemed logical to me)

Why would this technician at my local shop try so hard to disuade me from using a string loop?

As always, I walked out of there confused.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:02 AM

Default RE: Yet Another String Loop question

Why would this technician at my local shop try so hard to disuade me from using a string loop?
Because he is clueless

The guy at Cabelas is correct.

They are not hard to get the release onto. Shorten up the release a bit and you will be fine.

What shop? On the Island? PM me if you do not want to post his name
Old 02-19-2004, 11:07 AM

Don't know why? But I have hunted a string D loop for a couple of years now. you can hook up quick enough with it. The more you use it the easier it will become.

As far as draw length, putting the loop on does not change the bows draw length it merely changes the position of you hand while at full draw. If you find that you hand is to far back you can shorten your release. If you can't get it short enough then you can physically shorten the draw length of the bow, by twisting strings, changing cams or what ever. When I went to the loop I just simpley got used to a different hand position at full draw.. It moved back the distance of the loop...
Old 02-19-2004, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

As always, I walked out of there confused.
Maybe you should find a different pro shop.

I have used a loop for over ten years now and I will never attach a release directly to the string. It is no more dificult to attach to a loop than it is to the string. I don't even have to look at the string to connect to the loop it's just as natural for me as it is for others to the string.

With the mongoose simply shorten your release one hole and you should be good to go. Even if you do loose 1/2 inch of draw how much speed does that really account for? Maybe 5 fps, but then you gain it right back since the loop weighs less than the brass nocks you had on there before. Assuming you used brass nocks.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I suppose the more people that use a string loop the less business he will get from people needing their center serving replaced by him.[:-]He's just one of many idiots that try to use their opinion's as the gods' truth--but that is just my opinion.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

It also depends on the material you use for the loop. I picked up some cheap camo cord at Walmart after it had gone on the post season sale list and it is very stiff. This makes it easier to get on an off than some other materials I've used.

Another note about loops...........they tend to orient your peep site correctly.

Fritz
Old 02-19-2004, 12:25 PM

Rack-Attack:

I don't want to put the name, but they are named after a South Shore beach. Do you know the one?

I like the shop as they have a big selection and a nice range but I always leave there feeling like I don't know my a $ $ from my elbow.

Who do you go to?
Old 02-19-2004, 12:40 PM

Yea, I know them well - shot leagues there for years.

I no longer go there - if that tells you something - they will make anyone feel like a stupid piece of dirt. Had so many arguements with the owner i can't remember half of them.

I think the tech (we know who) was just feeling lazy and wanted to get away with crimping a couple nocks instead of tying the loop.

I know for a fact that both him and the owner shoot loops on there hunting bows..............go figure[:'(]

They also set em up all the time. He is a good tech - if his mind is into it.

I do 99% of all work myself. A good friend of mine owns Archeryquest pro shop. He is closed until March 2nd due to his taxidermy overload. He would be the best IMO.

I also shoot Monday night trophy shoot at Warrens - Don't know what he does as far as pro-shop work - but he has a nice shop.

If you really need something done PM me - I can meet you at Archeryquest - I am sure we can work something out and I will do the work for you.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:07 PM

that's the funny thing. Usually he is on the lazy side and you have to push him to get stuff done, but I tied it myself and was prepared to do it again. (I took some time with the guy at Cabelas in KC and he taught me, simple once you do it once or twice) That's why I was confused.

Where is Archeryquest? Is he that guy on 25 in Calverton?

I appreciate you lending assistance. I too want to get to a point where I do stuff for myself and am just beginning looking into it.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:37 PM

Where is Archeryquest? Is he that guy on 25 in Calverton?
Yup.....just tell him Chuck sent you - and then be prepared to get kicked out of the store[8D]

Quick Reply: Yet Another String Loop question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.