Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting time and travel

Old 02-18-2004, 06:37 PM

Default RE: hunting time and travel

I probably got 70 days worth on stand. One spot is about 5 minutes, the other is about 15. I also took a trip up to the northern part of the state for a 3 day weekend, and took 3 trips to the east part of the state for bow, rifle, and blackpowder. I have no clue how many hours i spent deer hunting. Plus, there was turkey, pig, and waterfowl hunting also.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

new here! spent about 70 days in a stand OKlahoma and Kansas. 20 miles close and 200 to Kansas
Old 02-18-2004, 07:31 PM

Im retired and have much more time than most to hunt and travel.
This past season I took three out of state hunting trips plus took a 400 mile side trip to check out an Elk hunting spot for this year.
I also hunted in my own state of WI.
I figure I put on 6800 miles and spent 30 days bowhunting and eight days rifle and muzzleloader hunting. Just the drive to ID and back is 3700 miles.

I do this every year to some state or another, Co, WY, OH, VA, ND, MI, MN where ever my desire and friends will have me
Old 02-18-2004, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im 40 miles from my hunting club and will get
to hunt more this year im retired now![8D]
Old 02-18-2004, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

Our hunting cabin is about 3.5 hours from my house, but I have a few local spots around home for bowhunting with the closest being a 2minute ride to the farthest being about 15minutes, soo all in all I would guess I am pretty lucky.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:44 PM

Usually take 2wks for elk, and just hunt the weekends for deer till I tag out. 3hr drive to the moutains I hunt...
Old 02-18-2004, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

For elk hunting I drive about 70 miles through the back country to the trail head. It is 5 miles hiking to get back in. Usually spend the night and hike about 1 mile to the elk spot. I have done this as a day trip and hiked both ways with a head lamp. I carried a 100 lb pack on the way out. Went home, got some sleep and went in with help the next day to get the rest of the meat out. Last year was the same but both of us had an elk down. Made 2 trips one day and two the next. This is my closest spot. I usally drive further during the late mule deer hunts and for antelope. Everything in the west is far away. I have slept in my truck, under my truck, and in the bushes. Would't want it any other way.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I could hunt in my back yard but I haven't seen huge there yet let alone big. I travel 5 hours to hunt and mixed it in with work. It worked well this year but next year I won't be able to pull that off. In all I went about 40 times (times=morning or afternoon). This year I may start hunting in some new states.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:57 AM

I usually hunt behind the house, and the 460 acres next to my property, both are private property. The other proprty we hunt in is 14 acres about 45 minutes from home to stand, private. I also have access to 200 acres about 20 minutes away, private property. Sometimes we hunt on public game lands, 3,000 acres, about 5 to 10 minutes away.

Not sure of the time I spend hunting since I usually try most of the private property and very little of the public.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only own 120 acres but for me and my buddy that only comes up on weekends that seems to be plenty.I go out the back door and can be hunting in about 5 minutes.I went out almost everyday after work and all but 1 or 2 weekends--atleast 60 days to the woods hunting.Only saw 1 buck during bow season and he saw me first=no chance at that buck.HAD A BLAST!

Quick Reply: hunting time and travel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.