Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need some encouragement

Old 02-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Need some encouragement

Ok i know this sounds rather cheesy but i figured you all would help out an fellow bowshooter. Yesterday i went out and praticed for only 7 shots before my target (it was a bujonga target/backstop) fell over and snapped my last arrow. I am still out of work and do not have any money to get more for awhile. That was probably the first time i went shooting, at least at a target in about 2-3 months. I went out few days before to try to get a squrriel or rabbit. I did get a shot off at a squirrel despite the wind blowing very hard and the rat-tail was running away from me. My shot went far right so i just dismissed it as the wind blowing. But when i went and shot at my target i noticed i was still shooting to the right. I tried to adjust the pin in hope it was work but on my next shot, it was still off to the right. I am not tapping or jerking the release all that hard but just knowing that i am still shooting to the right is just driving me nuts. Would the back tenstion probably be better for me? I am been feeling rather down because of not shooting right despite pratice and more pratice i have been doing. I know i am far from being a really good shooter but i really want to keep shooting and get better and i know pratice is the only answer but lately it seems that that isn't going to happen. Any words of wisedom or somethng like a swift kick in the head or rear that can get me out of the shooting slump/newibe problem? I am rather frustrated with it and that is no fun.

Sorry for sounding like an drama king, just frustrated.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need some encouragement

By the sound of it you are "punching" the trigger.

If you can get the trigger into the second knuckle and just loop your finger over the trigger and use your back muscles to fire the release.

You can also try some "blind" bailing. Stand real close to the target come to full draw and close your eyes and feel the release go off.

You should get a surprise release.

What lenght arrows are you using I have some here that I can send to help ya out.

They are 3355 gold tips cut to 25.5"
Old 02-18-2004, 04:19 AM

Beside punching your release you might also have too lite or too tite a grip. Do a little experimenting with your grip tension. Either problem can cause rt. or left arrow drift, consistently. More often too tite a grip can cause the problem.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:42 AM

You either need to move sights, work on your release, or quit torquing the bow.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know the length of the arrow because of it being broken but i'll try to piece it together. The brand is Beman Big Game Hunter.

I may have been gripping too tight because of my natural grip. I'll try to relax more when i shoot. I am guessing the back muslce part is the back tenstion.

Not sure what was meant by 'quit torquing the bow' so i might need someone to explain that to me
Old 02-18-2004, 11:02 PM
pup

by torquing they meen you are kinda like twisting the bow as your shoot by grabing it try to shoot with a relaxed hand what i am several other people i know do is curl your pinky through your midle finder down and just kinda hold the bow with your index finger, then you wont even be able to grab your bow what is your draw length and draw poundage i have lots of arrows laying around and i would sure hate the thought of a archery not shooting due to lack of arrows[:'(]
Old 02-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Typical Buck

Why are you shooting at tree rats ? your arrows are worth more then they are.