Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whatls all the chatter about the Easton Axis shafts?

Old 02-16-2004, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Whatls all the chatter about the Easton Axis shafts?

From looking at the website, I don't see a huge amount of difference from what we currently have available. What's so much better about them?
Old 02-16-2004, 04:36 PM

Default RE: Whatls all the chatter about the Easton Axis shafts?

Mike , They're smaller in diameter .....example my 340's are probably the same size as a 3-49 A/C/C !

The insert system allows the insert to be placed inside the shaft. Then you can true up the front with a provided champfer stone an get good broadhead fit !

Whatever layering is used....coupled with the smaller diameter......supposedly makes them super tough! There are claims that you can shoot them into a brick wall without damaging the actual shaft !

Kinda hard to believe that !

The few I have shot ....seem to shoot good and spin true ! But I have only tested a few out of the dozen and I just replaced my disk in my WB to one of the new brown ones.......so I am in a test and tune mode right now !
Old 02-16-2004, 05:08 PM
taw

The key to finding a good arrow is the straightness or tolerance. Anything more than +or- 3 in my opinion is not very good. If you look at those axis I will bet they are at least a 5 or maybe even a 6, which in my opinion is JUNK!
Old 02-16-2004, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

First of all,the spine is the most important part of any arrow,it must be consistant throughout the whole bunch.

Straightness means very little but the insert running true with the arrow means everything.This is the big advantage of the Easton Axis arrow.It insures the insert will run true.Also the same design puts the stress in the arrow instead of on the end in a direct hit on the front end.

Easton gives accurate numbers and their numbers are measured using the full length of the arrow minus 2".Not using a 28" span and then adding a little to make the numbers look good. www.eastonarchery.com/products/truSpecs.asp

Now I know this is their sight and they will advertise as they see fit but most that have checked arrows for straightness and spine will usually agree that Easton is one of the best.

Read up on their sight about the Axis arrows.They seem to be advertising what the individuals out their in the real world are saying to be true.I have not shot these arrows but it is looking very promising that I will be in the near future.

Oh yeah,I shot my best scores to date with arrows from Easton that had an advertised straightness of .004 and I also won more money with them too.

Also,the most accurate shafts in the world have a straightness of .002 .Even though there are arrows that advertise .001 but the best in the world don't use them.Think about it.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:51 AM

Well said, TFOX. I couldn't have summed it up any better.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:07 AM

Sound to me like TAW, just has a gripe against Easton. It is well known that Easton is one of the more honest companies with their specs on arrows. Most of the other companies fudge their numbes to make them look better. Many independent tests by users on the messages boards have proven that as fact.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I definitely agree that spine must be consistent throughout a set of arrows, however, I firmly DISagree that straightness is not equally important. If not, why would the most accurate arrows in the world be +/-.002 and not +/- .006?

Take two sets of arrows, both with consistent spines, only one is straight within +/- .006" (.012 TIR - Trads keep their wood hunting arrows straighter than that!) and the other is straight within +/- .002" (.004 TIR) and the straighter arrows will tune easier, group better and shoot more accurately - especially with broadheads.

As TFOX said, if the insert and nock ends of the shaft aren't straight and concentric with the body of the shaft, won't any arrow shoot worth a darn, no matter how consistent their spines run. Again, that's especially true with broadheads. That's the downfall of most carbons, straightness at the ends. GoldTip is aware of that problem, and the fact their arrows are not straight and concentric on the ends. On their tech sheet, they instruct people to cut their arrows to length by taking half the amount they need to cut from each end. Extra long draw guys like me that can't cut anything off a raw shaft are screwed.

The higher arrow speeds you shoot, the more precise your arrow has to be, along with having to be dead nuts with your bow's tune and your shooting form.

The thing about the Matrix arrows is they are removing one source of potential concentricity problems by eliminating the counterbored portion of the insert and using the body of the shaft itself to support the shank of the head. Good move, as far as I'm concerned. It basically turns a screw-in point into a nib point. Great concept!

Eliminating the shoulder of the insert also eliminates one of the biggest causes of cracked ends. When you hit something hard with a standard arrow, it can drive the shoulder of the insert up the shaft. The HIT insert is well up inside the shaft and has no shoulder.

Two facts that run in favor of the Matrix: I've seen very few Easton arrows that didn't come in well below their published straightness specs. JeffB is impressed by them at his last report and he's as particular about his arrows as I am. So, what Easton's got here looks like a very good arrow.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:01 AM
taw

Thank you Arthur P. I dont have any gripe with easton, I do think spine is important, but you can get the correct spined arrow from any company, but does every company offer the straightness at a reasonable price.