Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where do you aim

Old 02-15-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Where do you aim

When shooting at a target with a bulls-eye where do you aim? I used to aim at the center dot. I would shoot all over the place. Now I just aim in the circle and hit in the yellow ring. I am way more accurate that way. Will this cause any problems with my shooting?
Old 02-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Accuracy

Don't do what I did, mess up a lot of arrows! When you start messing up the fletching aim for a different part of the target. You know what you aim for and know where you hit. You either aimed for that spot or missed your target. Bulleyes are only for the enjoyment of others watching.

I went through 1 dozen arrows before learning this fact. One day I might buy a fletching tool.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

I always aim for the bullseye..........If it doesn't have dot, aim for a spot on the target.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Dominant Buck

This is true but on the next shot aim for another spot.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I find that my shooting suffers when I shoot at any of those bright dots on targets. I am much more accurate when I shoot at a bare target (bag, block, foam or what ever) and pick a small "blemish" on the target face. For some reason those flourescent orange and yellow target faces really throw me off.

I figure that animals don't have flourescent dots painted on them and aiming at a "blemish" on the target helps me pick that "blemish" on the animal when the time comes.

However, I aim directly at the "blemish" on the face or when I do shoot at spot targets I aim directly at the X ring.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:24 PM

i put it right on. Im like bigbulls though, i dont like bright dots. Id much rather shoot at 3D targets, or bare targets with shadows and stuff. Otherwise, i jerk and pull all over. Spots i aim for the X.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:14 AM

i am terrible at those foam targets, i shoot alot better with the 3d deer or other animals
Old 02-16-2004, 06:25 AM

Default RE: Where do you aim

When I am shooting a targets , I just aim small, in order to miss small. Just make sure you are hitting where you aim and your shooting should not suffer.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:34 AM

Default RE: Where do you aim

I use a 6 o'clock position; especially when shooting at target faces. A habit that was ingrained from combat and competition rifle shooting. When I try to put the pin in the center of the "spot," target or game; I am mentally uncomfortable, the sight-pin tends to obstruct my view of the center of the spot, and I tend to drift when trying to determine the horizontal and vertical alignment of pin to spot.