Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many hunters can hunt....

Old 02-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default How many hunters can hunt....

How many hunters do you think can hunt on 84 acres of land? And do you think you can put too many stands on a piece of property?
thanks
Old 02-15-2004, 02:23 PM

Default RE: How many hunters can hunt....

Sure I think you can hunt on that much land, and no I dont think you can hang to many stands. BUT, I do think you can hunt it too much and you stands too much. With a lot of stands hung well before season, youll have all your bases covered, for any wind condition and you can move to anothers stand easily if your seeing a lot of movement near another stand. But you cant hunt stands if the wind is wrong and you cant hunt them day after day, Maybe hunt one stand one day, then move a good distance to another stand the next day, and if conditions are right , maybe even a third day, but I wouldnt hunt it more than three days in a row, then give it at least twice as many days to cool down as you just hunted, if you hunt it two days in a row, leave it for at least four days. Be careful and take your time, it should be fine.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Dominant Buck

It's not the number of stands it's how often you hunt it. Three of us hunt a lot of times with in 60-90 yds of each other. We don't hunt the same area on average for one week. Some properties we will hunt twice in one week but that depends on location and traffic.

We don't hang stands we use portables. A lot of our properties are peoples backyards and they prefer the neighbors don't know.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hang as many as you want just don't hunt a single one too much becuase they'll figure you out fast. You have to be flexible and unpredictable. If you have a dozen different stands you should have a few different choices for each wind direction.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

The number of hunters that can hunt at the same time on a small piece depends a lot on the shape of the property and the wind. A long thin property is easier to put several people on than a square one. If every body you hunt with is good about sneaking in and out and keeping it clean 3 or 4 people shouldn’t be too much of a problem
Old 02-15-2004, 07:07 PM

I personally would not hunt more than 2 on a tract that small. When I look at leases, my minimum requirement is 100 acres per person. JMHO
Old 02-16-2004, 07:30 AM

2 possibly 3 hunters would be my limit on that size parcel. If you are using hang on stands I would consider approx. 6 to be the max. I'd be more in favor of a portable on 84 acres. My motto is like the short order cook at the local greasy spoon, KEEP EM MOVING! Works great for scrambled eggs and likewise for portables. However, I am a strong believer in the theory easy entry and easy exit. Scout that parcel till you can walk it blindfold and you will find those avenues of acces. Keep in mind, constantly, how you can access depending on the wind directions. The critters we are seeking play the wind on a daily basis so to be somewhat successful we must play the game accordingly. You and your partners practice stealth during this off season and next year you will be prepared to win a game or few. Good luck on your venture.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:17 AM

Old 02-16-2004, 11:17 AM

2 to 3
Old 02-16-2004, 01:30 PM

is the 84 acres all wooded? Is it farmland with small pockets of cover? This would all play into my decision on how many guys could hunt it.
And as everyone said, put up as many stands as you can. The more you put up the better your chances of success will be if hunted properly. I tagged a 150 class buck this year simply because I had multiple stands watching one field. While hunting one stand one evening I saw he was using another trail by another of my stands only 180 yards away. Two nights later I arrowed him from that stand. I didn't have to contaminate the area with more scent to put up a new stand, it was already in place, he was already comfortable with it so sneaking into it and getting him in bow range was a piece of cake.