Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Secrets to improving accuracy?!!

Old 02-11-2004, 12:16 PM

Default Secrets to improving accuracy?!!

I know we have some really good archers on this site, and I think we can all learn from each other. Everyone list the number one item/process/etc that helps them achieve ultimate accuracy. Or list the things you consider sacred in achieving pin point accuracy.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:19 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-11-2004, 12:22 PM

Default RE: Secrets to improving accuracy?!!

I constantly remind myself, one shot, one kill, calm down, concentrate, one shot, one kill etc. It really works. It is so easy to just stand up there and start flinging arrows and forget about really concentrating on each arrow.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:23 PM

Don't spend too much time concentrating on your target or you will never become a good shooter.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best advice I have ever recieved (and has worked greatly) is to practice shooting at a golf tee stuck in a target. You will begin to aim at a smaller area and your groups will deffinately tighten up. I went from shooting a 3-4" group to a 1" group simply by practicing like this. Most people will aim at the general area of the heart and release (which will give you a good pattern) but the smaller the area you aim for the smaller your pattern will be.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yeah, the other thing I do for ULTIMATE accuracy is to shoot 5 arrows from 10 yards then run really fast back to 40 yards and wait for your buddies to come back outside with a big smile on your face
Old 02-11-2004, 12:40 PM

Assuming you are talking target here:

Get used to seeing the pin on the X. Draw hold pin on x then let down. Do this about 15 to 20 times before each practice session. This will allow you to be more comfortable with the pin being on the x and will help limit target panic.

Do not drive by shoot. You need to learn to hold the pin where it is supposed to be.

Do not used a close hand or an open hand on the bow - both induce torque and need muscle tension to achieve. Somwhere inbetween is a relaxed grip with fingers hanging naturally. get the grip onto the thumb side of your lifeline and into the meat of your thumb - not into your hand.

Avoiding back tension here - as it is to much to type - at the very least squeze off the shot. If you try to time the shot to go off when the pin is on the X - you will find yourself on a long hard road to success. If you are holding the bow steady and in the x - it should not matter when the bow goes off - just let it.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Learn to let down when the shot doesn't feel right.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Back tension.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:26 PM

Switch to a Wisker Biscuit !!!

Sorry ........I just couldn't help myself !!!

Quick Reply: Secrets to improving accuracy?!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.