Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Safety with crossbows.

Old 02-11-2004, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default Safety with crossbows.

This is in reference to bobcat 10s' question about getting hurt and a question I have about the safe use of crossbows.

About 5 or 6 years back, a member in our hunting club got a crossbow and a permit to use it because he said he could no longer pull a regular bow, because of shoulder problems.

Here's what happened. He was coming out of the woods on his atv and I was going in on my atv. We stoped along side each other to talk, he had his crossbow straped to the rear rack and I didn't at first pay it any attention. During our talk, I realized he had an arrow (bolt) nocked on the crossbow. Because of the way we stoped, the arrow (broadhead) was pointing directly at me, at a height high enough to hit me in the thigh or lower waist.

I cranked my atv and immediately moved out of line with the arrow and gave him a few choice words for his stupidity. He stated that he couldn't uncock the bow and had to wait til he got home and get his wife to help him.

Now I don't know anything about cocking and uncocking crossbows, but couldn't he have at least removed the arrow? This was an accident waiting to happen.

dog1
Old 02-11-2004, 05:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Safety with crossbows.

Yes, he could have unloaded the bolt from the crossbow. He could have also fired it to "uncock it". Even if he did not want to waste a broadhead he could have put a field point tipped arrow on it and then fired it.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:07 AM

I know a lot of guys who hunt with a crossbow and 1) the minimum he should do is take the bolt (arrow) out and put it in his quiver and 2) with a little practice, anyone can uncock the bow by themself. Sure it is easier with two, but it is certainly not impossible with one.
I would definitely be giving him a piece of my mind.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:14 AM

he could have put a field point tipped arrow on it and then fired it.
Would you want to unscrew a broadhead from a loaded and cocked crossbow[:-][]

Not me[&:]

if the guy cannot let the croosbow down - then he should not bring it in the woods with him............period
Old 02-11-2004, 09:14 AM

Double post[>:]
Old 02-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

He wouldn't have to remove the broadhead would he? Just carry a bolt with a field tip switch the bolt and fire it in to the ground or embankment.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:05 PM

Jeez Dog1, that's scary.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:39 PM

That is what scares me the most, people not thinking too sharply about safety. I sure would hate to see someone I know get hurt from somebody elses dumb mistake. I think everyone should take a little time to show newer sportsman how to be safe. Actually, that kind of action was just plain stupid, I also would have told him a piece of my mind.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Would you want to unscrew a broadhead from a loaded and cocked crossbow
Ditto on what Charlie said. What I meant was a separate bolt with a field tip on it.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:06 AM

There are violations of the Hunter Safety Course abundant in this post. I question whether or not someone being this foolish ever took the course???

1) A loaded weapon is being transported.
2) A loaded weapon is being pointed in an unsafe direction.
3) A loaded weapon is being pointed at someone.
4) The user is depending on a safety (a mechanical device that can fail).
5) In some States it is illegal to have a loaded weapon in/on a vehicle.

I could probably come up with a few more, but you get the picture. It is truly 'IDIOTIC' that the 'thought' of this even came up; let alone that it may be true.

Carry a 'waste' arrow and shoot it into the ground, as mentioned above; or, let it down, if possible. NEVER move around with a cocked and loaded weapon unless it is pointed downrange in a safe manner/direction. NEVER raise or lower a loaded weapon into a treestand.*
*NOTE: We unfortunately had a young 10 year old boy die this year because of this scenario.

I don't mean to reiterate what is taught in the Hunters Safety Course, but some things are worth repeating.

Quick Reply: Safety with crossbows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.