Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long have you been shooting?

Old 02-10-2004, 04:51 PM

Default How long have you been shooting?

I have been shooting for 2 months. I can get each arrow about 2 inches away from the other. I've heard that some of you guys can get 1 inch groups at 20-30 yards. How long have you been shooting? Do you think I can get to shooting that good. I have a PSE Fire-Flite 33. I know the bow doesn't matter, it's the shooter, but I'm just curious as to how long you guys have shot.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:59 PM

Default RE: How long have you been shooting?

zak123, sometimes it is the bow, not the brand necessarily, but the setup. It could be out of tune, etc. But, 2 inch groups sounds good to me. I've been shooting for 12 years now, and I can't do much better than that. That is good shooting. When I REALLY practice alot, I can shoot lights out and literally hit anything I aim at out to 40yds, but it takes a hell of alot of practice to do it, and I don't have that kind of time anymore. I will settle for 2 inch groups at 20 and 4-5 inch groups at 30. That is WAY better than most people can truly shoot.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:59 PM

well I have been shootin for a few weeks myself now because im just gettin into the bow hunting im shooting bout 2 or 3 inch groups when im actually shootin good so i figure if i shoot more i will get better. I also need to get a stabilizer so that will help me a lot.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:07 PM

Find a local 3-D range and shoot all that you, this will allow you to develope distance judging and present you with life like situations.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:17 PM

Are 6" groups good enough for deer.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are 6" groups good enough for deer.
Quite honestly.......no they are not.
Sure a few of those shots might be good ones, but for the consistent taking of game 6" accuracy at any practical range is not good enough.
There are also many variables that come into play when hunting that demand more pin-point accuracy......just the adrenaline rush is enough to cause a drop in accuracy. Animals don't stand still for long either.......throw 6" accuracy into an animal that moves even a little bit when you shoot and you can potentially have disaster.

Just keep practicing Zak......learn to simply love shooting, watching those arrows fly and keep on doing it. Don't always get dead serious about your practice. Shoot 3D, loose some arrows,play shooting games etc and the good groups will come.
Shooting with better shooters will also help you become better.

I have been shooting pretty seriously for 20 years, and I can remember summer days as a kid where I would spend an entire days at the local gun club that I walked a mile to just shooting and shooting all day long. I couldn't get enough.
It'll come Zak, just keep at it.
A decent goal for a beginner to shoot for to take into the woods hunting is:
1-2" @ 10 yards
2-3" @ 20 yards
don't even worry about those deer out there beyond 30 yards anytime soon, but by all means practice at those longer ranges........for one its just fun seeing those arrows fly! But the long practice will cause you to concentrate harder for good accuracy.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:42 PM
Spike

ZAK,two inch groups at how far?If your doing it at 15-20 yrds your doing great!.To answer your other question ,6inches is not good!!!,at 40 yrds,maybe.But that is to far to shoot at deer.get them in close [10-20 yrds]2 inch groups= venison.welcome to the sport keep on praticeing.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:43 PM

6" isn't good enough for deer!!! Good. Guess I will "have" to practice more. YEA!!!!!!!! LOL
Old 02-10-2004, 05:46 PM

I shoot at 20 yards. When I mean 2"'s away from each other I mean this: Each * represents an arrow: * *

* Those are my groups
Old 02-10-2004, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shooting since 1955.

Getting good enough to shoot tight groups is important and I do not want to sound like I'm downplaying it. Good groups tell you a lot about how steady and consistent your form is. However, what matters most for a hunter is the FIRST shot, that very first cold shot. If your first shot of the day almost always goes right where you're aiming, then you're good to go.

Quick Reply: How long have you been shooting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.