Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long have you been shooting?

Old 02-10-2004, 06:00 PM

Default RE: How long have you been shooting?

How do you hit the release? I have heard to slowly hit it. When I do that, I get off target because let my sight flow around the target. If I would slowly release, then by the time the arrow shot, I would be way off. How slow should I release? Should it be a smooth pull or a fast jerk?
Old 02-10-2004, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

I've been shooting for about 4 yrs. Unfortunately I don't have time to practice much this time of year. I can normally shoot 2" groups at 20-25 yards. That is definitely consistent enough to put venison in the freezer. I myself wouldn't feel comfortable taking a shot at a deer if I was shooting 6" groups. For some reason I seem to shoot better when I have a deer in my sights I guess it causes me to concentrate more. Practice hard and the results will pay off in the end.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:17 PM

My pic messed up. Each dot is supposed to be 2" apart. I guess I will have to practice.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:51 PM

HELLO ZAK123, WELL I AGREE WITH THE OTHERS 6 INCHES IS NOT WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. AS FOR THAT IT JUST TAKES TIME AND PRACTICE. I HAVE FOUND THAT IF YOU JERK THE RELEASE YOU WILL NOT GROUP AS GOOD AS YOU SHOULD BE. I TEACH KIDS IN 4-H SHOOTING SPORTS WITH SOME PSE BUCKEYE BOWS. I HAVE A SAYING, WIPE THE KETCHUP OFF YOUR FACE. THIS MEANS FOLLOW THROUGH WITH YOUR SHOT. GIVE IT A TRY AND SEE IF IT HELPS. IF YOUR SIGHT FLOW AROUND YOUR TARGET, I WOULD SAY REDUCE THE POUNDAGE ON YOUR BOW, IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE PULLING TO MUCH FOR RIGHT NOW. I TRY TO TEACH THE KIDS FORM THIS IS THE KEY TO SHOOTING A BOW. PLEASE DONT GET ME WRONG I`M NOT SAYING YOU ARE A KID I`M JUST TRYING TO TELL YOU SOME POINTERS. I`M NO PRO JUST AN AVERAGE GUY TRYING TO HELP OUT. AND I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING FOR 22 YEARS AND LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYTIME I SHOOT. TAKE CARE I HOPE THIS HELPS.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:10 PM

I can pull my bow back fine. I was told by a pro to let it flow. That's why I'm confused.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Been using a bow since 1961.

I regularly shoot 6" groups @ 90 meters

But at hunting distances I want my arrows touching each other.

As the others have said it all takes practice and not just flinging arrow practice but good quality practice where you work on your form and consistancy.

But always remember to have fun while your doing it.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Old 02-10-2004, 10:15 PM

1958. Did not become "techy" until I started shooting wheel bows. Wasn't much to get overly techy with a stick bow.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:50 AM

Started shooting 8 years ago...only summer to fall season, for 2 years. Stopped for 6 years, and picked it up again last fall. I was shooting 2" groupings at 50 meters.

I'll definitely suck this spring [:'(]...only been shooting at home with a distance of 8 meters. And only shooting once a week.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Off and on for a year. I really need to start praticing again. I always have fun shooting but having too much time, one arrow and no money, i am just haven't been into it much but not giving up.

Not getting any kills yet has also been a bummer []

Quick Reply: How long have you been shooting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.