Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Average size of bucks?

Old 02-11-2004, 08:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Average size of bucks?

LOL I agree WV Hunter. It's funny listening to people estimating weight. You never hear about people misjudging by 30#'s the other way. 150lb. deer always turn into 180lb. deer but never into 120lb deer. If you can be off 30lbs, you can be off either way lol.
Also, one of my hunting buddys' buck has gained about 27 lbs. in the last 5 years since he killed it. I remember the day distinctly. We got done dressing it and he kept claiming it to be 185-190 lbs. I said well let's go find out. Nah I'll just call him 180lbs. ooooooooooooooook[:-] Now he's over 200. Heck he'll be a world record in another 10 years.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:38 PM

Sorry the pictures are only front shoulder and neck i cant find the one of him hanging in the garage. The first one the scale read 305 and the second one im assuming is in the mid 200's. thanks ryan sorry about the size of the picture 30kb restriction is stupid.

Old 02-11-2004, 12:45 PM

Sorry about the typo the first one is the 200's and this one is the 305.

Old 02-11-2004, 01:02 PM

I can't tell by the pic, but the buck does look to have a large body, but, I'm not sure if that deer would be 305 dressed.

What is the general rule? 30% weight decrease when dressed? Is that correct? If so, a 305 dressed would weigh 396.5 live. I'm not sure if I believe that, I would have to see it on 2 different scales before I beleived it. A big deer here in Mississippi is 230 lbs, live weight. I'm not believing that in IL, and I have killed mature bucks in IL, would be almost 200lbs larger.

EDIT: Ok, you posted the second while I was typing, the second is definitely bigger, but I still can't see him good enough.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:10 PM

it is possible that the scale could be off a little but at least would weigh 290 but it was weighed at the check in station and when it was hoisted in the air its antlers and some of its head were still sitting on the ground. Not to mention the deer in mississippi are a lot smaller then in illinois. and when the place you hunt is literally surrounded by corn fields and plenty of water sources around with a deer plot, its a lot easier to understand why they are growin to the size around here. In our area its about 30 percent timber and 70 percent food and water sources. I dont know if the checkstation would have records of this type of stuff but if they do look into it because im serious bout all of it. The deer was also age at 5 1/2 yrs old too. He was definitely mature.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:14 PM

jbrodie7, I would agree that the pic you are showing me is a 300 lb whitetail, but I believe it is a 300 lb live weight whitetail. Are you sure it was dressed before weighing?
Old 02-11-2004, 01:14 PM

..ive hunted deer in illinois since the late 70's..and i imagine we have alot of 200lbers+ taken every season but thats not our average at all...and the 200 mark is batted around alot...had a hunter at the cass co checkin station for gun trying to convince me his doe weighed 170#..
what part of CASS co, i have hunter there since 1988
i agree 300# field dressed is gigantic, i have killed a buck that dressed out over 240# but they are few and far between
Old 02-11-2004, 01:17 PM

if iam wrong then you can tell me but i have read that corn put bigger antlers on there head but the body weight doent get bigger but food plot put bigger antles an body weight those deer are over 200 pound though by looking at the picture
Old 02-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both of those bucks are huge.

I knew they had to be from one of the "big 3" whitetail states and I was right.

But 305 still sounds a little overestimated.

Since this deer was hoisted, I would imagine that a spring type scale was used which might explain some of the "weight gain."

I can't day for certain that this weight was wrong, 'cause they're very big deer, but it might be a bit overstated.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:04 PM

Both those pics are obvious FAKES[:-][]

Cut, Crop and Paste - looks to be about 130 lber to me[8D]

Quick Reply: Average size of bucks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.