Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just bought a ground blind, any tips

Old 02-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default Just bought a ground blind, any tips

I just bought a pop up ground blind off of my by boss. I didnt get a chance to use it this year, but cant wait till next bow season. It is an Ameristep Penthouse TSC, it had only been used once, i paid 90 bucks for it. Do any of you guys or girls use a pop up blind? Do you have any tips for more success with a blind? My boss told me not to open 2 windows across from each other. Thanks for any help you can give me

Dave
Old 02-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Just bought a ground blind, any tips

Dave,

Your boss's advice is very sound as the deer can see movement in the blind if your back is to a well lit window. Most folks will recommend putting the blind out ahead of time so that the animals become accustomed to it. You can if you like but I have never had a problem with placing any of my blinds out the day that I plan on hunting. You may want to "brush it in" with foliage from the area though to help it blend in better. Along this line of thinking I always try to set mine up under an overhanging branch or in a break in a fencerow. In those circumstances they blend in very well.

That Penthouse is a big blind. Make sure you don't set it up too close to any buildings or someone is liable to charge you rent....
Old 02-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Belted Mag love my Penthouse what PA said is
good advise you can catch different hunting shows
using the blinds just follow their advise![8D]
Old 02-09-2004, 07:46 PM

I would suggest setting it up somewhere and practicing shooting out of one. I was at a 3-d shoot last year and one of the targets was that you had to shoot out of a blind, I let an arrow fly, and I was to close to the shooting window and my bow struck part of the blind upon the release of the arrow and I did'nt even hit no where close to where I was aiming! Good Luck...
Old 02-10-2004, 05:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was at a 3-d shoot last year and one of the targets was that you had to shoot out of a blind,
It is funny you should mention that as I donated a Doghouse blind to one of the local clubs to use at their 3D range last season. It seems to be becoming more and more popular. I like it....makes it more of a non-target atmosphere.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

Get a quality bowholder to put your bow in while hunting from the blind!
You WILL get tired of waiting and holding the bow in your hand........ then just after you take the arrow off the string and lay the bow down the deer or turkeys show up,never fails.LOL! Then you are fumbleing around trying to pick up your bow and nock an arrow.You will make MUCH less noise if you have the arrow nocked and the bow standing there ready.
Stealth archery builds one that breaks down into 2 parts for easy packing! I can put mine in the leg pocket of my cargo pants.......try that with any of the others out there!
Heres a picture of Stealth staff shooter Trevor Hefley with a "DOUBLE" on turkeys last year......Trevor likes to use a box call and putting his bow in the Stealth bow holder allows him to use both hands while calling and his bow is still ready for action!!!!
www.stealtharchery.com

Old 02-10-2004, 06:01 AM

i don't have the penthouse[it is the outhouse] but i love it! i set it up on a small pipeline last sept. and it is still there.it has a boat seat with a 12"pedestal and a black cat propane heater and is my home away from home.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/059718.JPG
these two were taken from the blind within a few yards of each other.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/096178.jpg