Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 02-07-2004, 05:42 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-07-2004, 05:57 PM

Default RE: Mechanical head recommendations

For turkey you may went to check out the 125 grain Vortex Pro Extreme's. They have a 2-3/4" cutting diameter and will put a HURTING on a turkey. I will be using these this spring when I am chassing some Pennsylvania gobblers!

For deer, you may want to check out the Rocky Mt Snypers, N.A.P. Scorpion XP's, the Rocky Mt Gator XP's, Rocket Steelheads, ect....

I tested the Gator's and the VorTex Pro Extremes this past year and they both grouped with my field points, but that is because my bow was tuned.

I will STRESS this point though. Mechanicals need to be shot from a correctly tuned bow, yes, even more than fixed blades. Alot of people don't see that and think that screwing on mech's will fix every problem. You need to have a correctly tuned bow with mechanicals to get the most of your KE that you can!
Old 02-07-2004, 06:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't hide the fact that I am a big Rocket fan. I believe there is a head in their lineup for just about every person and every archery application. For turkeys I believe a large cutting diameter is crucial in that penetration is not as much of an issue as maximum damage for such a small little area. Plus you want the energy to be dispersed into the bird rather than through it.

For these reasons I think either the Sidewinder or Hammerhead would be good choices.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

I ,also, am a fan of Rocket Aerohead BH's. The Sledgehammer
is a good choice for turkeys with a 3 1/2" cut. Based
on my experience I'd recommend a setup generating
at least mid-50's/KE for use with turkeys...this is a
whopper of a BH[].

Here is a link to look at Rocket's line of BH's, just pan down
the screen. The Sledgehammer is at the bottom.
http://www.rocketaerohead.com/product_line.html
Old 02-07-2004, 07:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-07-2004, 07:52 PM

I recommend you throw them in the trash and get a fixed blade like a thunderhead. Everybody knows those mechanicals are trash. I hit a buck in the back hoof and lost him . Sorry ^&*&*%$ mechanicals!!! That was right after I shot a doe through the ear and lost her. They just don't work, them mechanicals. I only shot at one other deer with them. A giant buck at 187 yards at dark through some thick timber. Never found my arrow, he must have carried it off with the junky mechanical still attached. I know I hit him though 'cause I heard a loud"whack".
Seriously, I want to hunt turkeys this spring, too. Has anybody shot them through mesh?? Do they still work properly??

Thanks, cap.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:46 AM

I have used 100 gr. spitfires on several turkey's and they work very
well. Alot of good advice above. Now if I can just convince the wife I
really need a new double bull blind for this spring.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

For turkeys I guess my two favorites would be the Vortex pro extreme 125 grn. It has a 2 3/4" cut and is a two blade head. The other would be the Rocket Hammerhead. It's 100 grns and has a 2" cut. The vortex mini-max 3 blade 2" head is also an excellent choice. These are for turkey only. Without know your exact setup I can't comment on heads for deer size game. For that you can go to www.broadheadtests.com and find some good tips and info on picking the right head.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's another vote for the Rockets. I prefer the MiniBlaters and the Hammerheads.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

Here is a link from another board in regards to broadheads
for turkeys. Hope this gives a little more insight.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.