Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

string cost

Old 02-06-2004, 11:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default string cost

how much dos a new string cost can i make one how wood i do that
Old 02-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: string cost

If you do a search on the net, you can find home made string jig directions. Then you just need to buy some string and serving material and start building your own. Strings and cables will run anywhere from $45 - $110, depending on who you buy them from. Winners Choice is the high end, and one of the best, Berry Strings, Pro Strings, Stone Mountain and Wolden Strings are all very good also. I am spinning some for my 03 Ultratec right now (after I finish this little break).
Old 02-07-2004, 04:48 PM

I am thinking of putting a winners choice on my Mathews sometime. Will I gain any speed with a new string and will it last(you know, until it stretches back.)
Old 02-07-2004, 08:38 PM
tm
Fork Horn

Whether you'll gain or lose speed will depend on what string you're replacing. Winners choice strings have a reputation for being faster than some, but also a little louder. In my opinion it's because they are pre stretched and often smaller in diamater than some. Now the stickler is that in most cases as your string stretches your poundage goes up and your draw length gets longer which in both cases will increase your speed so if you put a new shorter string on you might lose some speed.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:11 PM

yes cotton it will increase your speed i had one put on my martin increased my speed by prolly 35 or 40 fps (just a guess but it prolly did) and to the one who started the post a string can run you from 4 bucks to 25 bucks that s what the guy at my pro shop told me i got a zebra and it just costed 24 so you can get the idea
Old 02-08-2004, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

It's personal preference on what string material you use and who makes them. If you make it yourself then yes the cost would be between $4-$6 but the start up costs are more plus your time. If you want I made my own jig along the lines of the Yellowstone Dream Machine and have about $35 into it (not including string material). Hardest part was the posts (brother is a machinist so did them for me) but there are other ways to do them. If you want I can send you the instructions. As to the speed increase of almost 40 fps I guess I'm a doubting Thomas. Maybe you get some increase (not saying you didn't) but that seemed to me way too high.