Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

nock over deer

Old 02-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default nock over deer

have u ever nockt over a deer with a bow what #
Old 02-06-2004, 10:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: nock over deer

The only time you'll ever 'knock a deer down' with an arrow is if you hit it in the spine, and that's nearly always nothing but a lucky hit on a bad shot.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes Arthur, an arrow with a broadhead does not kill by "Knocking a deer down" and was not designed to. They are made to cut and create massive bleeding. Knocking a dder down is what happens when you hit the spine and totally disrupt the brain signals passing through the spinal cord to the rest of the body.
I've made a few of those shots over the years and agree with Arthur. Plain, dumb assed luck, created from a bad shot.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:24 PM
Fork Horn

i shood of sead Knocking a deer over like it still beeing alive and no spinel cord hit jest Knocking it off its feet
Old 02-07-2004, 07:35 AM

I've knocked a deer of of its front feet, with a shot out of 75 lbs PSE shooting Muzzy, smashed through both shoulders, making his front legs useless, his chest hit the ground, he got up, fell again, and then pushed himself with his back legs about another 20yds before piling up, I had an entry and exit hole, but did not get a pass through, the arrow stayed in him and snapped while he thrashed around.

I got lucky, as often times a shoulder hit can turn ugly quick.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:00 AM

The buck i shot last year i knocked over. He was about 15 yards quartering towards me, i guess kinda off balance. Anyways, i shot and hit right behind the shoulder and it knocked him right over. He got back up and then ran about 60 yards before he actually died. What was wierd though, he made the wierdest growl/deep moan type noise. Never had that happen before him.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:19 PM

I did the same as Belle Island and knocked one down with a square shoulder shot out of my Matthews at 68 lbs with a muzzy. Both shoulders broken, no passthrough, no blood, went about 30 yards mostly pushing with its rear legs.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:29 PM

ORIGINAL: mattisbob

i shood of sead Knocking a deer over like it still beeing alive and no spinel cord hit jest Knocking it off its feet
Try "hooked on phonics ", ok???????
Old 02-07-2004, 02:09 PM

quote:

ORIGINAL: mattisbob

Try "hooked on phonics ", ok???????
ditto to that
Old 02-07-2004, 02:59 PM
Dominant Buck

I hit one in the shoulder one time at about 12 yards as he was walking. He must have had all his weight on that shoulder. The arrow didn't penetrate but he went right on his face like a drunk. Floundered, jumped up and boggied. He was shot with a rifle 3 weeks later chasing a doe. His shoulder was broken with the broadhead(The old Bear Razorhead with the little bleeder inserts) still in his shoulder... or it may have been a Thunderhead. I'm getting feable in the mind. I forget which..

Quick Reply: nock over deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.