Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Best Mechanical

Old 02-12-2002, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The Best Mechanical

My favorite continues to be the Rocket Steelhead 100. Others have sang their praises earlier in this thread so I don't think I have to go any further...
Old 02-12-2002, 04:33 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-12-2002, 04:58 PM
Dominant Buck

5 Shot: The Snypers only come in a two blade... right? I just feel funny about a blade that has to open forward in order to cut. Seems like a soft spot(like lung tissue) would allow it to be pushed back in. What stops that from happening?
Old 02-12-2002, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

David, the forward motion or energy from the arrow pushes the blades back and in the open position. As long as the arrow continues to move forward the blades remain open.

I was trying to recall all of the mechs. I have used over the years on deer...Let's see, snypers, various models of Rockets, Wasp Jackhammer, Marden, Gametracker Firstcut, Triska, and probably some others that I can't remember.

I can honestly tell you that none of the heads I used ever cost me a deer. Certainly Mechs. aren't for everyone but as mention those that qualify energy wise and tune their equipment, the mechs. will do a number on deer sized game.

The head that did the most tissue damage consistantly of all the heads I tried was Rockets Hammerhead 3L. Four of the five bucks shot with this head were complete pass throughs. Most fell over dead within view. Huge holes and generous blood trails were the norm. The heads look like blades from a blender when they were done, but they always did a number on the deer.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:06 PM

I like the NAP shockwaves and the spitfires. Both r really deadly!
Old 02-12-2002, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

David, antler eater pretty well summed it up. The buck I killed this year with the snypers was a classic text book shot, the head slid in between the ribs going in and coming out. I hit nothing but hide, and soft tissue, and a rock on the far side of the deer. The entrance wound was larger than the exit wound( I latter found that this is common with the snypers, and is a good thing). The exit wound was still impressive, and was the actual cutting diameter of the head, 1 3/8". the only thing I can tell you is to pick up a pack and try them. If you like a mechanical that penitrates like a fixed blade head, comes from the pack sharp, and is plenty strong, you will like the snypers. They don't cut as big a hole as some other mechanicals, but You won't have to worry about penitration with them if you shoot a well tuned setup with the proper amount of KE.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 02-12-2002, 06:30 PM

I have only used mechs 1 year, they were Wasp Jakhammers. From now on they are the only ones I will ever use. I started a few of my friends on Jakhammers, never had a problem, always deadly, arrow flys like a field tip. Kinda of expensive, well worht it!
Old 02-12-2002, 06:35 PM
Spike

If you guys want a chance to use those mechanical heads on a big Illinois buck go to www.illinoisbowhunters.com and see how to win a hunt
Old 02-12-2002, 06:46 PM

Shockwave 100s here too (thanks 5shot). KE @ 61. Doe ran 20 or 30 max. Buck took 2 steps. Devestating. I would totally recommend them given enough KE is used.
Hypertec, there was a quite extensive broadhead poll around the end of last year. See if you can dig that up.