Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what is the dislike for mechanicals?

Old 01-30-2004, 11:57 AM

Default what is the dislike for mechanicals?

how many people have had success with mechanicals? i personally have shot 5 deer, 3 bucks and 2 does and a fox with rocket sidewinders. most of the shots have been out of a tree stand about 20+ feet up. i have lost 2 deer while shooting these broadheads but it was because of one that hit way low(in the white) and the other hit wa a real bad angle that i should not have shot. not all the deer that i got were great shots either. the first buck i hit in the spine and the whole broadhead went into the spine just like the pics of the muzzy's in the backbone and the arrow broken when the deer flipped over on it. the first doe, it went perfectly double lung and she didn't even know what hit her. the next buck i shot arrow was a little far back and hit the front of the stomach but exited the other lung. the next doe, i hit way far back and gut shot her but the arrow passed through her back leg too right under the knee and she fell in 30 yards. the last buck i shot, the arrow was a little high on the entry hole but the angle was going down and the broadhead went straight through the shoulder blade and was sticking out the other side. so if people dislike mechanicals so much, then how have i had much success with them. i am a rocket sidewinder guy for life!
Old 01-30-2004, 12:07 PM

Default RE: what is the dislike for mechanicals?

Oh man Legacy - are you trying to get the mechanical vs fix fight going again?

Anyway - i think it's more of an issue of shot placement, what equipment you are comfortable/confident with, and finally being able to tune your bow.

Personally I love the Rocket Sidewinders, I think they are one of the better mechanicals on the market. That being said, I also carry a muzzy or two in my quiver.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:12 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-30-2004, 12:31 PM

rocket man here too
Old 01-30-2004, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I currently shoot mechanical exclusively and have never had a problem because of them. However, to answer your question, the dislike is because many folks assume that you do not need to tune a bow as well when you shoot mechanicals because they fly with field point accuracy. Totally not true and actually just the opposite. The bow has to be even more accurately tuned otherwise you waste precious KE which is needed to get mechs. to function properly....which is the second reason for the dislike. Many folks buy 1.5 to 2 inch conventional style mech. heads and expect to get excellent performance when their KE levels are way below what most folks considerable acceptable for mech. use.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:31 PM

what is the dislike for mechanicals?
Because they are mechanical.

With me, it is more of a distrust than a [/i]dislike.[/i] Anything that is mechanical (performance and reliability dependent upon moving parts) has a greater propensity to fail. That is a given. Being that the broadhead has the final say, I prefer that it be as reliable as possible.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:44 PM
Dominant Buck

In the beginning God created crappola... and he called it the Mechanical.[>:] BUTTTTT..... they've gotten a lot better. I think the dislike is a lot of hold over from the early models. Also, a lot of people go to them because they're either lazy or don't know how to get a bow tuned so it will shoot fixed. At least that's the perception of some. I think the main reason for distain is that they steal energy and don't perform as well as a fixed on bone etc. But then, replacement blades have their shortcomings to. There seems to have been a disproportionate number of woundings and lost animals with mechanicals. A lot of that has to do with shot selection and placement. Also, people try to push the envelope and use them with marginal setups or below exceptable setups... therein we have more penetration problems with them. They are better and do work well if you're selective and do your homework. Me, I don't trust them.... but that's just me. My hunting partner whacks the heck out of deer with them. He has used several models with success. Still there are people that hate them simply because(as someone said) "they're mechanical". To each his own. If you decide to use them... do it wisely with enough K.E. to make them work.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:14 PM

I have been wary of trying mechanicals. I don't know my exact arrow weigh or the exact lbs pull on my bow or the speed of my arrow. I haven't been able to find a pro shop in my area. I bought my bow from E-bay and set it up myself. I don't know anyone that bow hunts and have learned everything I know about archery from the people on this forum. Ya'll must be pretty good because I got my first bow kill this year and this was my first season bow hunting.I don't think I would be compfortable shooting mechanicals because there is just one more thing that can mess up.My broad heads shoot right with my feild tips, and I only will take a broadside or quartering away shot at no more than twenty five yards. My setup would probably handle mechanicals because I shoot one pin from 10-25ft and can put all my arrows inside a three inch circle.The buck I shot this year I used a 100 Gr. thee blade muzzy and it only went twenty yards.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

What is the dislike you ask???
Lack of K.E.
Lack of Tuning
Lack of making a fatal hit(poor shot placement)
Lack of education!!!
Can you tell I like my mech. heads???
Old 01-30-2004, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm staying out of this one.

Quick Reply: what is the dislike for mechanicals?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.