Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what is the dislike for mechanicals?

Old 01-31-2004, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: what is the dislike for mechanicals?

davidmil, can you tell me approx. what KE I'm shooting? I shoot a Pearson Anaconda 67# 29"draw using Easton 2413 Superlite XX78 Super Slams Select with 100gr heads. The arrow length is 29 7/8" from head insert to nock valley. I don't know if it matters, but the bow is a single cam, 36"ATA. I have no idea how fast the bow is shooting. The manufact. says IBO is 310 but I have read someone got more like 270-275. Is this enought info? Thanks.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

I just like my blades already being open. Plus, nobody, I mean nobody makes the perfect shot all the time. Thats when I feel a good fixed blade head has an advantage.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

The dependability statement was merely a referece to the accuracy of a mechanical over a fixed.If you hit where you want,then a good,quick kill is eminant.As I have stated many times,a mechanical is more accurate in ALL conditions.I am an accuracy freak and if I can't hit a 1" circle at 30yards
because of the eqipment,then I am dissatisfied with the equipment.I am not wanting something that shoots no better than a 3"-4" group at 30 yards.I want my equipment to be on so if I make a slight bobble I still make a good shot.If the wind picks up,then that 1" group is no longer possible or if you add a little torque to a bow then that broadhead takes over the flight and you will not make as good of a shot as if a mechanical were on the tip.I am not saying that I always shoot 1" groups at 30 yards but my equipment better be capable of doing it.

Yes speed is an important part of the equation,if you shoot a slow setup, then a broadhead may be as accurate as a mechanical in most conditions but as the speed increases,so does the criticalness of the setup.

Also,all fixed heads DO NOT penetrate better than all mechanicals.Some fixed are better than some mechanicals and some mechanicals are better than some fixed.Rocket Steelheads have been proven time and time again to be one of the best penetrating heads,if not the best of the 3 bladed heads,fixed or mechanical.The larger cut heads,fixed or mechanical should not be used by low ke setups,period.Mechanical doesn't really have anything to do with that.Other than the fact that it there are more large cut mechanicals than fixed.The reason for that is accuracy,it is next to impossible to get a 2" fixed head to fly well at any kind of speed for anykind of distance.

So if you like fixed heads then by all means use them,AS I DID THIS YEAR,but when someone ask me why I use or like mechanicals better,I will give an honest answer to the question.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll take a sharp mechanical over a dull fixed any day , if I get to choose the model . I would not shoot puckets or hammerheads or buckblasters at deer , but the guys who have long draws and shoot heavyer poundages than me will have no problems with the last 2 I mentioned . I would not recomend puckets to anyone , very poor design .
Old 02-01-2004, 05:34 PM

[]Ever seen the hole a well place Mini-Blaster 75g puts in a Deer? For a short time(very short)this past season, I tried a fixed blade head. Worst mistake I've made in years! Use whatever you like, but my money is on Mini-Blasters.

To Each His Own!
J-bow
Old 02-01-2004, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I post a article about mechanicals broadheads i think either in here or in the bowhunting gear last week if you want to read it. As for what i think about mechanicals. Honestly I haven't shot any yet but willing to give it a try (and when i find the ones i packed) when i go out looking for some rabbits.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:39 PM

Last year I bought some mech's but never used them. I just didn't want to risk it. This year, I will be packing 125 Grain 3-Blade Muzzys and 125 grain Rocky MT Snypers with me.

As far as a mechanical being prone to failure, yes it may be, but not to the extent that alot of people push it to.

Guess what guys, fixed blade b-heads aren't perfect and yes, they can fail. How? Blades can break or pop out of the ferrule. If you are looking to get away from the possability of failure, then you have a VERY small selection of b-heads, like the Motec G5

Lets see, bows are prone to failure, releases are prone to failure, rests are prone to failure, treestands are prone to failure, ect. ect. ect....

Sometimes people worry too much. I am not saying that you should not worry about your equipments durability, but when you refuse to use anything that has the possability of failing, you are going to loose enjoyment and you are going to be missing out on alot of great products.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well said Buck.

Actually the only head I have ever had fail was a Thunderhead and most would agree they are excellent heads.It was mostly my fault because I cought shoulder blade but I have had Rockets make a passthru in very tough situations.

Shoot what you have confidence in.PERIOD.I shoot both but prefer Rockets.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

TFOX, I shoot a cut on inpact two bladed broadhead which is considered a fixed blade. There is absolutly no way ANY mechanical will out penetrate this head. I don't care what you say otherwise as far as accuracy. I can bang arrows with these broadheads at 30 yards. Will I take this shot. Almost definatly not. I have only lost one animal and that was in my first year of hunting. I have first hand experience at what a cut on impact two blade will do. I have seen elk shot from end to end with one. I like to shoot a 3 to 1 ratio. Meaning that the head is 1 in wide and 3 inches long. It is a flying spear and has no planing characteristics whatsoever. The tips hit exactly where my field points do. I think that you better do some homework before saying that mechs will out shoot ANY fixed blade. I am not against using mechs for deer however the statement that you made about outperforming ANY fixed head in any situation reguarding accuracy is totaly false.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:13 PM

This past season was my first season ever using fixed heads. The past 4 previous I have used rocket steelhead 100's. I got full passthroughs on every deer I every flung a steelhead at....but the blood trails sucked. I mean with a low exit would through the chest cavity...the hole was just too small.

Now that I have become more experienced with the aspects of tuning my bow I decided to step up to fixed heads. I shot two dear this year...an point that I shot with a 125 grain muzzy, and a doe that I shot with a 125 grain wasp sst. Both 1 3/16 inches in diameter. Talk about massive hemoraging and a quick trail. I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with the wasps over the muzzy though. The wasps are twice as sharp, and the solid ferule, I feel anyways, makes them a little stronger. I have pancaked a muzzy and if there was any structural support down the middle other than the blades it wouldn't have compressed like it did. I just feel that big diameter fixed blade heads are the way to go.

Quick Reply: what is the dislike for mechanicals?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.