Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bad arrow hit, deer paralyzed!

Old 01-29-2004, 11:01 AM

Default RE: Bad arrow hit, deer paralyzed!

Heres the story. Me and a friend of mine i met here recently decided to bowhunt this last season in the same place. We usually hunted about 500 hundred yards apart, but real thick brush in there. Anyway we both shot button bucks at about the same time time one evening. I shot mine at an angle where I was shooting almost straight down because the deer was right under my stand. Hit him on the top of his back,right of the spine, and exited under his left leg in the armpit area. That deer ran about 45 yards and droped dead, I was so excited because it was my first bow kill, (and my Dad made a bet with me that if I bagged one with my old bow he would pitch in for a newer bow) anyway, my friend came to my stand and said he shot one too and we walked over to where it was and it almost killed me to see that. He had hit this little button buck right under the spine, breaking it, and paralyzing it. I still dont know why he didnt hit it twice to kill it but I had to end it. All that screaming by the little buck made me think twice about bringing other people with me on hunting trips, not knowing if they would do the same thing and just let an animal suffer so bad.But please remember that was my first bowhunt and I almost lost it when I had to get so close to that deer with him screaming and flopping around like that, it hurt me. I hate to see that and couldnt believe my buddy would do a thing like that. I guess we were both kind of puzzled , but I went ahead and drained his blood via its throat, I was ashamed afterwords, but I know for now on I will make sure me and my hunting buddies are confident with their shots and know what to do when something like that happens. Thanks for listening and good luck out there!
Old 01-29-2004, 12:16 PM

a button buck ? did you wipe the milk off its lips afterwards ?
Old 01-29-2004, 12:28 PM

Look Bow-huntr .......it happens ! Nothing to be ashamed of !! Don't let it get to you ....or get down on your friend. It's best to learn from it and not do it again. If your buddy did it again ....I would question it......but first timers.... in all the excitment ...make bad choices sometimes. It is best to get another arrow in them !!

But to me......on your first time out....sounds like a good hunt....even if the shots were off a little !! Hunting isn't about going to the petting zoo......it is ultimately about killing .....and some times it ain't pretty. But you guys should have learned from it......move on...... and congrat's on your first bow kill !!
Old 01-29-2004, 01:20 PM

Had one jump the string on me, and got her in the spine. Didn't have another arrow with me. I grabbed a 3 inch dia stick, and hit her over the head. Put her out very quickly. Also hit one in the spine with a rifle. Bad shot. Finished her off in the head.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Slit it's throat.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:23 PM

Slugman you dont have to pretend you have even killed a deer with a bow, let alone killed one at all, buying a tag for roadkill and checking it in doesnt count. So think before you try to type. OKay little man?