Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

back up for bear hunt

Old 01-29-2004, 12:02 AM

Default RE: back up for bear hunt

Take it, don't be stupid... why not?!!! why not give yourself better protection, or mental fealing while out hunting they old bear? TAKE UR GUN!!!!
Old 01-29-2004, 02:40 AM

hey guys have a read on a book called Bear Attacks 2 Myth and Reality---by: James Gary Shelton. Its a real great book explaining bear attacks and how to protect yourself. He explains that black bears will be predatory and stalk you without you knowing it. The line that bears are more afraid of you than you are of them is a myth. I have had a few encounters were bears were certainly not frightened of me at all from yelling and firing warning shots over them. Why would you want to put yourself in that situation. With all of my encounters i was never even hunting bears just walking in the woods hutning deer and just hiking. It's not that much trouble to carry along a can of mace just to be on the safe side because you never know what might happen out there.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah but in PA you can get fined if your caught with a pistol while hunting bears with a bow.
In PA there is no bow season for bear. Bows are legal and so are handguns. I am almost 100% certain it is legal to carry both simultaniously.

You may be thinking of archery deer season. It is illegal to carry a sidearm then.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had numorous run ins with bears and all came out good. I don't carry a side arm and never will. You will be o.k. if you handle yourself accordingly. Even been stalked by cougars. One walked away and the other made a beautiful rug for the back of my couch.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:00 AM

Mitch,

I would assume you are refering to your up comming bear hunt in Maine. Maine regulations allow ou to carry a side arm while bow hunting deer although you can not dispatch the deer with it. The only mention of special regulations for hunting bear and possessing a firearm are as follows.
Note: A permit to carry a handgun to track wounded bear after dark may be obtained from the Warden Service Headquarters
There is no "bow season" in Maine for bear. There is a general hunting season, Baited season, and hound season.

http://www.state.me.us/ifw/hunttrap/...%20INFORMATION

I've never read of a bear attack occuring in Maine after a bear had been shot with an arrow. For that matter I can't remember the last time I read or heard of a bear attack in Maine. I'd personally be more worried about the moose population as they have been known to charge people / hunters on occasion.
Bottom line, if you feel more comfortable with a sidearm bring it along.

Happy hunting
Old 01-29-2004, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

PAHunter86,
I would double check your regs as far as carrying a sidearm during bear season, seeing as how the season is open to both bow and gun. However if it were archery season for deer then you would not be permitted to carry a firearm of any sort.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:21 AM

I never have, and I hunt an area where there are lots of bear and cougars. I mean ya they could attack, but the chances go along with the territory, I mean there could be a flash flood, earth quake, lightning strike, you know what i'm trying to say, I have had several encounters with bears. I have walked into sows with cubs only twice, and yes it was scary but thats part of bowhunting, and if I think if one did try to charge I really don't think you would have time to pull the pistol and react fast enough to stop a bear. I have shot 2 nice black bears with my bow, fair chase and both went down fast, I am amazed how one arrow can kill bear so quick, I have confidence in my bow! But if it gives you that extra comfort knowing you have a pistol then by all means carry it, but I say the bow will do what the pistol can do and maybe even better, if you can get the shot off in time, but thats part of hunting, it does involve some risk.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I was wrong. I checked the reg book quick and it didn't say anything about it being illegal to carry a sidearm during the bear season. However, using a semi-auto pistol is illegal for hunting, and if your out hunting and you posses one, you might get fined or warning...but I'm not sure on that.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

here in canada we are not allowed to hunt with handguns but when I bear hunt there are two of us in the tree no hunter and one tapes we each have a bear tag. the hunter uses the bow and the camera man pack a rifle in. there is no worst feeling then looking for a downed bear with a bow. we use a a bolt .308 remington a 720? maybe it has 19" barrel and peep sights that give alot of comfort. even baiting we pack it in. if I could use a handgun which would be easier a .44 mag would be my choice. But this year for baiting we are going to try some pepper sray