Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Video taping hunts

Old 01-25-2004, 01:59 PM

Default Video taping hunts

My dad and i have some amazing hunting encounters and we were thinking about making our own videos and producing them. What do you guys think about this?
Old 01-25-2004, 08:08 PM

Default RE: Video taping hunts

Not sure what type of camera you have, but a typical home video camera does not have the proper quality for television. Most cameras used by the professional hunters average around $5,000. I've done some research on this myself, I think the best approach to take would be to try to become a "team member" of one of the big outfits, like realtree, Drury, etc. You would then submit your material to them and they would pay you.

I think it would be very difficult to break into the market on your own, point is most people buy vidoes from the reputable pros, not joe blow.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:48 PM

Belle Island is right, the cameras are expensive, Ive looked at a few for around 3000, cause typical home video recorders just dont have the quality. Anway, Ive been trying with my video camera just for practice. Have you ever taped any of your hunts yet? Ive tried for two seasons now, ad its really hard to get everything to come together for the camera and the shooter, not to mention twice as much movement and scentin the woods. When it all comes together its awesome. If you save up and get a quality cam, youd be better off to try to sell footage to some of the big names. Thats my goal, but its taking more than I ever imagined, time and money. But worth it
Old 01-26-2004, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started producing bowhunting video in 1990 & it can be no easy task. I have 4 cameras with 2 costing just a little over $3000 each & soon to buy another for over $3000. Post production equiptment is where it all comes together & that can run you $$$$$. We have around $30,000 in our post production for what we produce. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:44 PM

Video taping your hunt can be a lots of fun. Also by watching your tapes over and over you will learn alot about your subject. I have been doing this for over 20 years now. What an insight I have gain on the Whitetail over the years. If I can find a way to post a couple of video shots I'll post them. Good luck. It doesn't matter what type of video cam you use , just use one. Myself I went to all digital and what a differents. I use the Cannon GL2. Still learning! Also I'm useing a DVD Burner. The tapes look Great. Take care. David A Clark

P.S. If anyone knows how I can attach Video to this site please let me know. Thanks
Old 01-26-2004, 05:07 PM

i think its a great idea!!!
Old 01-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had this idea rolling around in the head for awhile now - produce a "Reality Hunting" show. This would show the real every day hunters out in the field. The hunting shows and videos are great for entertainment but do little to nothing in teaching how to hunt. I think it would be great to film different locations with different hunters for a weekly tv show. This of course I realize would be extremely difficult at best. Who would sponsor such a thing? And without that, the bucks to produce would be too much - between equipment and time alone would make it nearly impossible.

Years ago, my buddy shot a deer in the morning so we decided to set up a stand next to mine and try and film me shooting a deer. It was like the hunting shows we see - an hour before dark two bucks came in - a fork and a nice 8. My buddy filmed them coming in, walking under us and then out in front of us in the shooting lanes. He moved the camera up to me to get me looking at the buck, back to the buck, then back to me to get me drawing, then back to the buck to film a text book shot. It was perfect. Oh, except for the fact that this all took place deep in the cedar swamp and the camera wasn't set for low light conditions so the auto focus couldn't decide on what was out there, and the thing turned out almost black. Oh well. It was a cool experience though.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:09 PM

for inexpensive way to tape hunts with good sight view get a digital camcorder. and dont use the auto zoom. we do hunts for "therealsportsman.com" but if you really want to make it a proffession my advice is what BELLE ISLAND say's. get a professional camera!!
good luck!!
Old 02-09-2004, 08:47 AM

I'm pretty new to this video stuff .2003 was my second year doing it .I used a cam corder from a pawn shop.i've video taped rabbit hunts with my beagle hounds ,tried deer by myself that seems to deficult.This year took my friends digital cam and got some alright footage deer hunting.Its as tuff recording as it is being the shooter.
Try Ebay for a pro cam seen a whole set up for 1200$.
Its just fun for my hunting buddy and i.He can't wait for next season planing a boar hunt to practice some more.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:41 PM

There is a good one from Pine Ridge Archery called the Pro-Bow-Cam. It is only $39.95. You can see it at www.pineridgearchery.com

Good luck