Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you choose?

Old 01-24-2004, 06:47 PM

Default RE: What would you choose?

Which everyone is more accurate.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:06 PM

You know, I quit watching bowhunting videos several years ago because I got absolutely sick of watching carbon arrows come to a screeching halt after about 6" of penetration in the rib cages of the deer they were shooting.
It wasn't the carbons Arthur, it was the mechanical broadheads they were using.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:43 AM
Fork Horn

The problem with the lighter arrow is going to be with the spine and gettting it to tune. You're talking about a pretty powerful setup there.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:37 PM

I totally disagree w/ the mechanical broadhead theory. I have shot, and know people who have shot many deer with mechanical heads, and believe me, they go right thru em. Some of them even cut quite the devastating hole, but also cause more drag. This is where the heavier arrow comes into play, again, more kinetic energy.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:08 PM

Depends on your purpose. For hunting I go with the 400 plus arrow weight.
For 3D I go with the lighter 325-350 range arrow weight..
Old 01-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

This is where the heavier arrow comes into play, again, more kinetic energy.
Guys, assuming you are useing the same bow set at the same weight for the heavy as well as the light arrow they will generate very near the same ammount of KE.

You could actually have a set up where the light arrow would generate more KE than a heavy arrow. There is a point on both sides of the scale where you will get diminished returns.

What the heavy arrow does is generate more momentum than the lighter arrow. Again provided you do not go too far into the heavy side of arrows.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I want the heavier arrow for 3-D also. I am shooting 423 grains at 66# and traveling at 275 fps. Its no barn burner as 3-D goes at short ranges but there is more stored energy down range and will not give up the energy as fast as a lighter arrow. The 3-D game is won between the 25-35 yard range. I'm not willing to give away the gimme shots for an uncontrollable arrow. Too many people are giving into the speed game and really hurting themselves. I am able to outshoot the best in the valley on occasion without the light arrows. fancy magnified sights and stabizers that look like fishing poles. When it comes time to hunt I know my gear inside and out. No questions, just change the tip. Yardage judging is the single most overlooked part of practice. I spend more time on that then I do shooting. I could be the best shot in the world but if I don't know the yardage I will never hit my target. I would go with what shoots the best out of your bow and forget about chronograph numbers.ArthurP is correct. It is better to have a heavier arrow just in case. As for the mechanicals it is a known fact that they eat up alot of energy upon entry. Thats why I use a cut on impact two blade. This next comment will probably make ArthurP happy, I like to also use Zwickies with my compound. And no, I am not ready to give up my release quite yet!!!!!!!!!