Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HELP! I'm starting a hunting class at my school and i need some advise/ideas.................HELP!!!

Old 01-22-2004, 04:56 PM

Default HELP! I'm starting a hunting class at my school and i need some advise/ideas.................HELP!!!

does ne 1 have GOOD ideas that could help me get the hunting program started at my highschool? i have quite a few students that would like to join the class and i have a list of like 20 ideas about what we can learn about but i dont know what else to do with the program and what to learn. not only about going out and killing but learning how to keep you food plots healthy for the deer and how to choose a good spot to hunt etc.
HELP ME! thanks.( i also want to test their tracking skills, i was thinking about killing a rabbit and going in the back field behind my school and sprinkling blood on on the ground and anywhere a deer could possibly get blood on, and making a student go out one by one and find the animal and recognize where broken twigs and sprinkles of blood are so they can find the rabbit.) do you think ^-- that is a good idea^?
Old 01-22-2004, 04:57 PM

Default RE: HELP! I'm starting a hunting class at my school and i need some advise/ideas.................HELP!!!

Here are ideas that i had that we could learn about in the program.

different weapon choices(bow, crossbow, rifle, muzzelloader, shotgun, etc...)

movie clip of hunts(home movies, purchased)

what attracts deer

choosing the best location to hunt

how to tell how mature the deer is

hunting laws

observing and studying deer bones

how to gut and clean a deer properly

how to track a deer

how to recognize deer trails

where deer bed down

invite guest speakers(biologic, game wardens)

hunting recipes

keeping deer lots healthy for your deer

the importance of hunter(without us the pop. would b out of controll etc.)

deer food preferences

deer habits

how big deer can get

gun safety

where to shoot an animal(location on body, depends on species)

uhhhhhhhhh........i think that is all.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:57 PM

Default RE: HELP! I'm starting a hunting class at my school and i need some advise/ideas.................HELP!!!

OH! and i also want to teach others about feral hogs too! i am also looking for a place that i could bring the "future class" to so we could all go hunting for like a 2-3 day hunting trip. maybe even an all day thing just to go somewhere and look around for deer/hog trails. if you know of a good place then post you location or just email me.
THANKYOU,
texanyoungbuck
Old 01-22-2004, 05:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Start with WHY we need hunting and the roll of the hunter in wildlife management and expand from there. I believe if you contact the administrators of your state Hunter Safety Course they can give you some great training aids and guidance. There are all kinds of good flicks floating around that dwell on the heritage and why ideas more than on blood and guts.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I doubt that you will be able to actually kill anything for the class. You would have to use something like halloween blood to the class.

After you go through all of the very important reasons why we hunt and why we need hunting you should continue with the basics: proper gun / bow safety, tree stand safety, positively identifying your intended target and beyond your target, hunting rules and regulations in your state.

Discuss survival and first aid

Discuss how to read a compass and GPS

Then move on to the anatomy of deer, elk, moose, hogs, bears etc.....

Discuss proper shot placement and making the first shot count.

Discuss excelent, good, marginal, and bad shot oportunites and why they are what they are. Ie: deer position, deers state of alertness, other deer around, trees in the way, deer on top of a hill and not being able to see what's down the other side.

Discuss matching the gear to the intended game, terraine and season.

Scouting, tracking, when to track and when to wait, gutting, skinning, butchering.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is a program at our local high school that is about what you are wanting to do.

As part of the class, everybody takes the hunters education & trappers education. Not only are they graded on it, but they get the certs too. They talked about many different things. My local NWTF chapter donated some kind simutlator for shooting too. We had a game dinner at the end of the class. Field trip to go fishing, skeet shooting and many other things. He brought in a dead pheasant for our class and demonstrated how to clean it. Depending on the semester you take, he takes you trapping too. It has been so long, I can't even remember it all. I took a liter of our German Shorthair Pups to the class just for the fun of it once. We had a local game warden come in and talk on several occasions.

If you would like, I might be able to try and get a class rundown for you. I somewhat know the teacher and he should be happy to help.

This is the description that the school puts out

AG RESOURCES (1 term)

Ag Resources is a study of wildlife habitats, hunting, trapping, fishing, forests, prairies, soils, pond management, and conservation of natural resources. Development of habitat will also be covered. Students will earn certification in hunter safety and trapper education.

Class Level: 10-12
Credit: 1/2 unit credit

Quick question..........are you a teacher or a student?
Old 01-23-2004, 06:37 AM

Get a few teachers or at least one that is willing to become the club's mentor. Most student groups if not all require adult supervision. Get the needed adult so that you may present your idea to the administration. They will see that you are a serious young man with a passion for something, trying to improve a situation. You have a great lists of topics. Good luck in your goal. We need more young folks like yourself getting INVOLVED.