Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Quicker kills with larger blades?

Old 01-22-2004, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Quicker kills with larger blades?

HEY,I have a question :If a mech head with a cutting diameter of 1 3/4" And a fixed broad head with a 1 3/16" Hit the exact spot on a deer,lets say behind shoulder and both were pass threws! WOULD THE DEER RUN LESS YARDS HIT WITH THE MECH.HEAD??A quicker recovery??
THANKS FOR ANY REPLYS.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Quicker kills with larger blades?

I would think you are right if the mechanical opened properly and they both did pass thru--bigger hole should bleed out faster.jmho.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:36 PM

hard to say if one would bleed out quicker than the other, almost impossible to say... after all both types of heads have put them down quick...
Old 01-22-2004, 02:36 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

WOULD THE DEER RUN LESS YARDS HIT WITH THE MECH.HEAD??
There's no way to know that. Two different deer may react completely opposite after being shot. One may bolt a few yards, stop, look around, and fall over. The other may run like a scalded ape and go a lot further.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've had pass thru's on a couple of deer with feather fletched arrows wearing fixed, 2-blade cut on impact heads where the deer flinched like they'd been stung with a fly and continued feeding till they dropped in their tracks. Never even knew they'd been hit.

I seriously doubt you'd ever get that same response with a large mechanical broadhead and plastic vanes.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats the whole idia.that a bigger cutting size will make a bigger whole.but i have a friend that shot a doe with a very wide mechhead it slow the arrow down so much that he almost did not get the arrow threw the other side.he did say that the deer only ran a few steps then fell over.but i have done that many time.with heads mech or fixed with only 1and 8th or smaller.just put the arrow where it needs to be.and it does not matter nothing is go very far!
Old 01-22-2004, 09:08 PM

I don't know if it is cutting diameter or shot placement but Iv'e shot 5 deer in the last 2 years with 100 gr. vortex with 2 3/4" cut, none have gone more than 50 yards all with clean pass through and good blood trails. Now I wont use anything else
Old 01-23-2004, 07:14 AM

I have shot them with all kinds and there is no way to know !! But IMO deer run further when hit with mechanicals ........on pure adrenaline......due to the impact ! Where as......I have shot them with fixed blades and had similar experiences as Aurthur P. !
I like the bigger holes the expandables provide and the bloodtrails are great sometimes.......but most of my tracking has been 75-125 yrds with them !! My fixed blade experience is more like 30-100 yrds !!
Old 01-23-2004, 07:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Theoretically speaking, if you hit the exact same deer in the "correct spot" with the two heads in question, and your bow was capable of getting that mechanical to work properly, then I would think that the larger head would cut more blood vessels and therefore cause the animal to bleed faster.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I, too use the Vortex. This year I used the 100 gr. Before this year I used the 125 grain. I am thinking about going back to the 125 cause it seems to be a little stronger, but both make an awsome cut.

I think making a bigger cut gives a better chance of hitting more vital area, especially on questionable hits.

Quick Reply: Quicker kills with larger blades?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.