Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how many times

Old 02-12-2002, 06:52 AM

Default RE: how many times

Hoythunter! Missing is just as much of a hunting experience as making the perfect shot. I believe I've missed 2 nice bucks before I finally took a buck. This year was my first time drawing on a bull moose and when I released the arrow I saw it clip a branch. The feeling I got in my stomach was hollow. I know one thing though, I'll never quit until I can't draw the bow back anymore!
Old 02-12-2002, 08:30 AM

I missed the first deer I ever shot at, and then got one the following year. Misses aren't anything to be ashamed of, it happens to everyone!

"Playing under the table and dreaming"
Old 02-12-2002, 09:09 AM

No. I never drew back on any deer until the first one I took came into range. Before that, I was screwing up basic hunting skills and just not seeing deer. ie: spooking them on the way in, poor scent control, too much movement, etc. After my first two seasons, I ironed out most of these problems. My first deer walked in when I was out of the stand heading home. I was on the ground, out in the open but with decent background. The deer walked broadside right in front of me at a near perfect angle. Unfortunately, I hit it up high on the spine. This was right behind my house too so dragging it home was easy.

The next year, I shot at a spike on the last day of the bow season. The shot was low and went right under the boiler room. Finally found the arrow and was thankful for a clean miss.

-Mike
Old 02-12-2002, 09:10 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-12-2002, 10:18 AM

The first day I went bowhunting, I was 11 yrs old. I could put put every arrow out of my 50lb bow in an apple at 20yds.
I shot every arrow in my quiver that first morning, 5 shots, and never cut a hair. I was on the side of a mountain, and though they were all passing 20 yds in front of me, they were almost the same distance down the hill. I shot over every one, not knowing any better. Funny now, but I was pretty upset back then. I also would panic and shoot at the whole deer, I think I missed 10 deer before my father sat in the stand with me, and coached me through the shot on a nice fat spike. I've now killed the past 18 deer I've shot at, over the past 4 seasons, knock on wood, and I think I had almost 10 in a row before that last miss.
P.S. That part about falling down the hill when drawing is too funny!
Old 02-12-2002, 10:38 AM

Last season was the first shot I took at a deer with my bow. I missed the deer but sure put a hurt'n on the apple tree in front of him.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

I think I missed about 5 deer before I killed my first one with a bow. since then i have consistantly killed deer every year for the last 5 years but haven't ever taken a buck(i've had chances just haven't seen the one i want yet the time will come)
Old 02-12-2002, 11:07 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-12-2002, 04:32 PM
Spike

It's not a miss...it's called catch and release deer hunting. We all do it.