Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunter population on the decline?

Old 01-23-2004, 01:47 PM

Default RE: Bowhunter population on the decline?

25 years of gun hunting, I just bought a bow last week. Ready to try something new, using a bow opens up alot of public lands that are either closed to guns or gives a early start before the gun hunters.
I'm gonna start aggravating the crap out of you guys with questions so bare with me.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:06 PM

I've hunted Pyramid State Park for the last 2 years. I've been interested in hunting Shawnee Nat'l Forest, but haven't gotten over there. Where's the best areas there? Any other areas in southern IL that are good bets? Thanks
Old 01-23-2004, 04:35 PM

rut-n-hard

I have hunted oak wood bottoms down at shawnee...(youll see a sign that says oak wood bottoms from off the roadway ,thats one area to go to).When you park in the parking area,you will want to walk towards the (what would looks like a old cut loggin road) and go left,follow down,you will come by a huge iron pipe..probably with water comin out if around bird season,turn right looks like all cut loggin road...theres a lot of flat land and some hills...stay away from the open field(to the left by iron pipe) it is private and the farmer isn't to friendly..just go out down there some day look around for yourself you will like what you see...if when you go in to the left after you follow the road back walk till you come to power lines...[:-] been lots good huntin by those lines.. you can pick out easy crossings too...

My uncle hunted there for many years and showed me around down there as well... Theres plenty of land for everyone to hunt down there...[:-]

1 thing i suggest is if you go deep make sure to bring a compass..[:-]

You hunt pyramid? I probably will be checking this place out.. especially since they opened the 30,000 acers... I hear theres alot of good hunting there..