Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

single pin advantages and disadvantages

Old 01-21-2004, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: single pin advantages and disadvantages

DOUGHBOYSIGEP,
You say "as you understand a 20 yd pin will be dead on at 10 yds and you get within 8" at 30yds"---why would you set your 3 pins at 15,20 &30 yards?You just said you can do that with one pin!Maybe i misread or misunderstood what you were saying?
Old 01-21-2004, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

that is what i said.
so the 20 yard pin gets me 20 yds & 10 yds
everything else I am just "guessing" - 15 yards isn't much of a stretch (however not thinking/getting a bit excited when I shot my 1st - only - buck i spined him at 15 yds)
the 30 yds is a different story - by guessing (i figured about 6"high), there is a lot of room for error (i don't think 8" is too awefull good) - that's why I wouldn't normally shoot 30 yds. - with a pin for 30, I hope to get those 8" groups much smaller and more consistent and have more confidence with the longer shot if it ever presents itself
Old 01-21-2004, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see what you're getting at and hopefully that will work for you.I myself used multiple pin sights and would go brain dead at the moment of truth using the wrong pin on more than one occasion--went to a single pin and love it!Whatever works for ya.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:18 PM

i'm going with the single pin.......
Old 01-21-2004, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

bobcat
I've shot 1 pin for a while. Mine is sighted in at 20. I've got everything covered from up close out to 25 without having to compensate. Mine drops some out beyond 25 so I just hold high if need be. I usually don't shoot more than 25 anyhow, so it works for me.
Save the money and take off two of the pins form your sight. Where to sight your pin in at really depends on what your range will be, and how your bow is set up. A good place to start is 20. Then shoot at all the distances both sides of it and see how you do. You can go from there. Good luck
Old 01-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

bobcat10.............no I don't aim low. From 10 yard its only off by alittle less than an inch. Make it simple! When you practice you learn very quickly. The only shot you have to make a small adjustment is staight below you broadside ( a shot I don't take anyway) But practice your shots anywhere!

Good Luck!
Old 01-21-2004, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot a single pin for about 10 years now my top pin is set at 27 yards it is the only pin i hunt with i have a 40 yard pin and a 80 yard pin on my site that i practice with i aim low heart shot on all the deer i shoot at 27 yards and closer dead deer, 28 and out clean miss. Use a 6 inch paper plate put a dot on the bottom of the plate start at 3 yards and aim at the dot using your 20 yard pin walk back several yards and using the same pin shoot at the dot do this until you shoot below the dot adjust your pin so that at no time will you shoot above the plate before you shoot below the dot i have a friend that i set up this way and he shoot a single pin out to 35 yards also you will find that you will hit close to dead on at 3 yards and shoot you highest around the 18 to 20 yard mark
Old 01-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Dominant Buck

I know it can be done with one pin... but, I really like being able to say I was dead on or off when I shoot. I think having a pin every 10 yards lessens the impact of range estimation errors. If I say it's 30 and it's 34 or 35 I will probably still get a hit. I'm not sure that would happen if I'm using a 20 yard pin(for which I would have to guestimate hold over) and I'm already guessing range... It's just more precise to have my 20, 30 and 40 yard pins. And yes, I'll shoot in a minute at 40 if the right target presents itself. I'll wait if I think I may get a better look, but if it isn't going to happen..... I'm shooting. I know you can become accustomed to hold over. I do it myself even with my pins at every 10 yards. I'll fudge up or down with a pin for odd ranges at like 24 or 28 or something like that... but it's done with at least ONE known... where precisely to aim. Now all I have to do is have the range correct. For those who say they like one pin because they don't want to use the wrong one in the heat of the moment..... that's called Buck Fever.[:-]

Another point... if I'm shooting at 260 fps my arrow would be 20 and 1/2 inches low at 40 yards if I used my 20 yard pin. That would be a heck of a lot of hold over to calculate in the woods in a hurry. I want to hit closer than "The Deer Somewhere".
Old 01-22-2004, 09:11 AM

i use a single pin sighted in a 23 yards flat out to 30 276 fps had great luck with one pin only thing i suggest is use a green pin great for low light only thing for me green is blury midday when sunny
Old 01-22-2004, 03:43 PM

I use a single pin for one reason when that buck comes in and you draw you dont have to say what pin do I use. with my luck I dont need anything else to go wrong.

Quick Reply: single pin advantages and disadvantages

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.