Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I really need your advice?

Old 01-19-2004, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default I really need your advice?

I found this great sight in 2000 the same day I bought my 1st bow. I have shared every hunt I've had here, and considere those on this board an intrigual part of my hunting experience. I truly believe this board has increased my hunting experiences and it has taught me a lot that I know about this great sport. So I think now I seek knowledge again. I have come to a huge crossroad in my hunting trail. I severly injured my shoulder in the army- and before they medically discharged me- I had to surgeries to try and fix it. Unfortunatly I'm still left with a disability that will not let me pull back my bow. I have now missed 2 seasons (hunting that is- not scouting). My delima is weather or not to try to sell my bow and by a crossbow. Having both is completly out of the question- and unless I can get enough from my 2001 Carbon Master Extreame to cover a crossbow- it's all a mute point. What are your opinions of cross bow hunting? How does it compare to the thrill of drawing back and flinging an arrow downrange? Do you think I could even sell my bow and buy a crossbow? Any comments would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Thanks
Doc
Old 01-19-2004, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I really need your advice?

Do what ever you have to,to get back out there in the woods. I really dont think it would matter to me if I was using a compound or a cross bow. Its more about getting out and enjoying the outdoors. But then its not me that has to make this decision. Good luck in what ever you do.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:58 PM

I love hunting but I don't like hunting for the kill as much as being out in the woods. I wouldn't care if I had a compound or crossbow. If you can't draw a bow without hurting yourself then by all means don't. Use a crossbow. Are you shooting high poundage. I know some guys that shoot 60+ lbs at deer and think you need that much. I also know a guy that shoots 48lbs and gets deer. You could try lowering your poundage but I wouldn't mind using a crossbow either.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:05 PM

Ya you could always lower the poundage on your bow. I would personally buy a cross bow, hunting is hunting! Can you shoot a shotgun or a rifle? I would do that too. Hunting to me, is all about being in the woods, no matter what i carry.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Idaho hunter 58

Hunting to me, is all about being in the woods, no matter what i carry.

Well said.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen a device for people in your situation. It holds the bow just short of a full draw. If I am not mistaken you can pull the bow back with the help of your feet. If the bow is almost at full draw the poundage would be greatly decreased at this point probably allowing you to finish the draw at this point. If it is legal in your state I would pursue it. If you can't, go to the crossbow, Why miss out. After all, you have earned it.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:04 PM

Elkcrazy8 I have heard of this thing. I forgot what it was called. It's supposed to help if you can't draw your bow back.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:17 PM

Maybe you could check out the Draw Lock, it mounts to any bow and holds it at full draw until you are ready to shoot, it even has a safety. I think they are a little over a hundred bucks. At least you could still shoot your favorite bow that you are comfortable with, it just gives you the ability to draw it with both hands, cause you hold the bow with your feet to draw it. Ive never used one but a guy that lives close to me has one because he has a bad shoulder and didnt like crossbows. He says he shoots better now than before because it always holds and releases the string the same with every shot, no creep, and no worry about anchor point. He loves it.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

The 2001 Jennings Carbon Master Extreme sold for somewhere in the $200-$250 range. On Ebay you may be able to get about $100 or so for it. The least expensive crossbow that I am familiar with sells for right around $150 but comes with a quiver, bolts, etc... everything except for a scope. So, I think it is a realistic possibility.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with the others above, hunting is hunting. Now, what thrill you get out of it will differ with the methods used. I consider using a gun hunting, but it doesn't excite me personally any more. You may feel that way with a crossbow. Worst case scenario, yeah, I'd do it to allow me to be in the woods at that most awesome of seasons.

However, as food for thought, Dwight Schuh wrote a few editorials in Bowhunter last year about how he messed up his right shoulder and taught himself how to shoot left-handed. Would you have a lot to overcome? Yep, but it may be worth it for you, and provide a good challenge which would make you feel good about what you accomplished in the end.

Quick Reply: I really need your advice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.