Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I really need your advice?

Old 01-22-2004, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I really need your advice?

Thanks all for the advice and info (PA) . MQ1- Ihave considered going lefty- but right now I can barely hold my arm out parralel- so even holding the bow out is probably not an option right now. I think I'm going to give it till this summer and then make up my mind. I'm thinking of finding a local bow shop and explain my situation and see if they have a used crossbow I could shoot from time to time to familierize myself with it. Then I figure if I give myself a couple of months before the season and I have to go crossbow- shooting everyday I should become proficient enough to be ethical.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Best of luck to ya, Doc. I've enjoyed you being a part of this board; keep us informed as to what you do.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was unable to shoot my compound I used
a cross bow until I could shoot again,go for it!
Old 01-22-2004, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I fully support crossbows for disabled hunters. If you can't draw a bow that's legal hunting weight, then get the crossbow. If CAN shoot a legal hunting weight bow and you're looking to get a crossbow just because you can't draw a 70 pounder, then I strongly oppose that.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

doc, I agree with Arthur. There is no sense in staying home just because you cannot shoot a compound because of an injury. If you cannot draw and hold the necessary weight to hunt....get a crossbow! Good luck to you doc.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:36 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't see any big problem here. You're just going to have to make the switch. Do what you got to do. Hunt on!
Old 01-23-2004, 05:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

As others have said it is not the weapon, but the experience of the hunt. This is a decision that only you can make. I hope you continue to hunt no matter what the weapon as long as it is legal go for it.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:57 AM

article on shooting a bow with a bum shoulder

This is a link to the article mentioned above.

dochendrix,

The answer is going to come down to how bad you really want to hunt. Guys with only 1 arm shoot bows all the time ... I shoot with 1 regularly, and he takes deer every year. If you were really serious about archery hunting you can overcome a bad shoulder .. it will take time in terms of learning a new shooting style and maybe even money to adapt your equipment but it can be done. Only you can look inside and see how important archery hunting is and decide if you want to put forth the effort to hunt again.

I'm going out on a limb here and guess you weren't really looking for advice .. but a kick in the ass. Hey .. it really rots your shoulder went on you .. but if hunting with your beloved bow is as important to you as it is to many of us on this board .. well as long as you have a tooth in your head to grab the string and 2 toes on 1 foot to grab your bow ... you can get out in the woods and hunt with a bow!!!!
Old 01-23-2004, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Draw lock are illegal in Okla. I don't know about other states. I have a hunting partner who is 68 and can't draw a bow. He uses a crossbow and is deadly with it. You have to basically get just as close as you do with the bow. I have no problem with someone using a crossbow if they're disabled to the point that they can't draw a bow.

ESPECIALLY if they were injured in a job where they were defending our country!!!
Old 01-23-2004, 08:04 AM

Amen to that isatarak. Dochendrix don't think twice about going to a crossbow if an injury keeps you from drawing a bow, if someone has a problem with it it's just their narrowmindedness get back in the woods and enjoy