Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3D shoots

Old 01-16-2004, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default 3D shoots

Just wondering how many archers out here shoot 3D's during the year.
The archery club that I belong to, runs about 5 3D's each year and it seems like the amount of archers get less and less every year. Tell me what you think is a fare price for a 30 target 3D shoot. This club needs all the input it can get. I have just taken over running all shoots and would like to bring people back to archery. Any ideas would be greatly accepted.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:39 AM

Default RE: 3D shoots

I started 3d shooting Sunday. How many shots per target. 1? If so then I would say $7.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry Yes this is a one shot per target,

I have just made coupons up for our 3D's for every 3 shooters your 4th shooter shoots for free. Tell me if you think this is a good idea.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:40 AM

I belong to The Appalachian Bowmen, a NJ archery club that has hosted 3-D shoots for 25 years. We now host two, a traditional only shoot in April and an open shoot in August. These shoots are well attended largely because we were one of the first to hold them and secondly because we offer a lot of shooting.

We too are experienceing a decline in the number of shooters that come through our ranges. Back when we were the only shoot in the NY, NJ, PA area, we had about 1700 shooters. Over the years we have gone down in terms of numbers to 1000+-. (Remember, we are a two day shoot.) We have attributed it to the number of shoots available. People simply do not have to clear their calendars for our shoots as they can go to another one on just about any given wekend. That being said, we still have near a thousand shooters at our August shoot each year. (less for the traditional only.) Here is what we are trying and have been trying to raise attendance:

We advertise nationally in archery magazines. We have a mailing list to send post cards to those who attended in the past, we belong to and support both sportsmans organizations, archery organizations, private organizations and charities,and we canvas the area with flyers and such. None has made a significant difference in our numbers. We host these shoots as fund raisers for the club but at the same time, we try to be civic minded in what we do. The other benefit is our promotion of hunting and archery. We feel that our club does a lot of good and receives positive PR for all hunters and shooters.

Our shoots have 60 3-D targets on three ranges, 20+- vendors selling their whares, novelty shoots, a running deer contest, and more. Our ranges are legnthy and cover a lot of area. Each 20 target range winds through woods and fields, mostly woods, and shots are realistic hunting scenarios, yet some test your skill with a bow. I'm not sure about this years cost for the shooter but we have a 1 day charge, a two day charge, and a lesser fee for children. Our traditional only shoot has camping available.

This year we are trying to make the traditional shoot a 3 day shoot. This is an effort to have more multiple day shooters in attendance as well as placate a trend in our club - more members of retired with much free time. I hope at least one of them is reading this!

I'm not sure where Averill Park NY is but if you would like to attend our shoots, or speak to a club member, you can contact our club and receive information. (We have shooters from MA, PA, NY, NJ, CT, and even VA and MD.)

Email the club at [email protected].

Greg
Old 01-16-2004, 07:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

The going rate for 30 target 3D shoots in my area was $7 for many years. About two years ago they "upped" it to $8 though there are some that are as cheap as $5. I think $7 is more than fair.

Turnouts in my neck of the woods seem to be about the same as they always were. I am getting ready for the first shoot of the season on the first Sunday in February. It just wouldn't be fun if it were to get above 10 degrees out there...
Old 01-16-2004, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Our club gets $10 for a 30 target shoot and we charge a good bit less than some other outfits in the area. But we're way out in the boonies and not easy to get to.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:21 AM

We have 20 targets per course at the shoots I attend. Entrance fee is $10 for trophy classes and $15 for money classes.

A big draw here are the novelty shoots as well. Most courses will set up another 10 targets. Entrance fee is $5 and they pay back money. It is either set up as a known distance or iron man. Iron man, you take one arrow and have to keep it for all 10 targets. The targets are set up for shots through brush, where you basically have to make a perfect shot to hit the target.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Our shoots run 6 or 7 bucks. We have 16 stands with 2 targets at each stand for a total of 32 targets. Another good idea (even though it's an obvious one) is to have food and drinks for sale at the end. I have yet to see a hunter come out of the woods and not buy a burger and a coke. It may not be much but it's some extra cash. We also have a 50 yard 50/50 if you want to get in it. The charge 3$ for 3 shots at an elk at 50 yards (there are haybails behind him so I don't lose my arrows). For every arrow in the vitals your name goes into the drawing. This is another good fundraiser. One thing that I have heard from alot of shooters is don't make the shots to Tough. Meaning, between 2 oak trees at 45 yards at a bedded deer. Yes, it may be alot of fun to give it a shot but it is not something that would be attempted in a hunting situation. The less arrows people loose at your shoot, the more likely they are to come back. Good luck with everything.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

As soon as i get some money. I am going to buy several 3D targets. There is a archery club here in town but i dont think i am quite ready to join that. Want to keep on praticing, pratice, pratice.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:21 AM

place that i shot at is 5.50 for 1/2 of shooting. U can shoot a targe as many times as u want in that time period.

Quick Reply: 3D shoots

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.