Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3D shoots

Old 01-16-2004, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 3D shoots

Red Hawk, that is called stinkin' thinkin'. Archery clubs are for everyone, regardless of experience or skill level. Get into that club and meet people. Start shooting with others. Start networking with other bowhunters and pick up leads on where the hot action is. I guarantee you, you'll learn more about archery and bowhunting in ONE YEAR of being an active member in an archery club than you'll learn in 20 years of mucking about on your own.

Side benefit... Well laid out archery ranges are set up to be safe, taking even the unlikely, but possible, freak accident into account. Shooting in your backyard is dangerous, even illegal in a lot of jurisdictions. If an arrow gets away from you - release goes off prematurely, you shoot the wrong pin, string breaks, rest malfunctions, anything like that - and you cause property damage, physical injury or even death down the block, then you're wide open to civil suits and criminal charges.

But there is a flip side, of course. Archery clubs are CLUBS, not amusement parks. Your dues get you the right to use the range, but with that right comes responsibility. You will be expected to pitch in and help with range maintenance chores, maybe even serve a hitch as a club officer when you earn the confidence and respect of your fellow members.

But don't let that scare you off. Like everything else in life, you only get out of it what you put into it. I've been an officer for the past 17 years with only one two-year break when I was between clubs. My experiences, the vast amount of knowledge and experience I've been exposed to, the people I've met and the great friends I've made over the years have been well worth all the work I've put into it.

Go get an application and join that club ASAP!
Old 01-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Arthur P makes some great points there.

3-d shoots around here run from $5-$12 for a 30 target spread.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

I would think that 10 bucks would be OK for 30 targets, but offer a half course of 15 for 5 bucks. I don't make near the 3-D shoots as I once did. My biggest reason is time. If you've got a bunch of shooters shooting 30 targets, it pretty much eats up all day. When its 100+ degrees outside, thats tough on an old fat man.[&:] But start @ 8 AM and finish at Noon and I am even more interested.

Just my thoughts.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you've got a bunch of shooters shooting 30 targets, it pretty much eats up all day. When its 100+ degrees outside, thats tough on an old fat man. But start @ 8 AM and finish at Noon and I am even more interested.
Ooooohhh.... Don't get me started on that stuff, rcd... That brings my anti-compound streak into full bloom!

Anyway, an old fat man -like me- should shoot traditional. I haven't been to a 30-target all trad club shoot that's lasted later than 1 PM in the last.... well, I've NEVER been to one that lasted longer than that.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:34 PM

I shoot all over Pa.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:35 PM

At a couple places around here, i think its $10 to shoot 25 targets. At one range, Trosper, if your a member you shoot for $8. Make sure you advertise cause i know alot of guys want to shoot but dont know when.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good point Arth. Maybe i will eventually but right now i just cant afford it as sad as that sounds. Been out of work for almost a month..embarassing [:'(]
Old 01-16-2004, 06:43 PM

tnt shooting grounds in waltersburg pa. has a thirty target range open from april til sept . open 7 days a week ! they change it around every week , and the cost is 7.00 mon thru fri and 8.00 on weekends.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure what our yearly dues are, but that includes using a range at anytime and helping to keep good 3D targets for the monthly shoots. Monthly 3D shoots with IBO rules run $8 last I heard.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:29 PM

I think about $7 for two shoots at 28 targets.
Another thing to try is having the shoots 3-4 days a week incase you can't come for a reason.[:-]

Quick Reply: 3D shoots

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.