Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

alright give me the low down on drop away rest

Old 01-14-2004, 06:26 PM

Default alright give me the low down on drop away rest

i have a whisker bicsuit now.......what is so good about drop away rest.....how much does a rest like this cost.....
Old 01-14-2004, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: alright give me the low down on drop away rest

I just installed the Muzzy Zero effect rest Sunday,and absolutely love it.I cost about $85.00 and wasn't that hard to install.Watch the video a few times then giv it a go.You will really like it.Bill D>
Old 01-14-2004, 09:13 PM

Just got a Whisker Bicsuit myself because I was getting frustrated with the arrow falling off the rest. Why are you going to change bobcat??
Old 01-15-2004, 06:45 AM

I'm too cheap to afford a drop away or whisker biscuit.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:57 AM

I have a Stealth Hunter rest. My pro shop guy (in his late 60's great hunter, army vet, built like a rock still)
sold me on it.
He went on a cougar hunt in Utah. Fell down a ravine chasing the cat. Bow landed in the mud on the bank of the river. He got the bow up. Arrow still in place. And shot the cat LOL........very cool!!
Stealth hunter is out of Utah. May be on the internet. If not.... email me and I will give you the phone #.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

I'm a fall away rest newbie as well and just put the Drop Zone on my 04 Patriot. While I haven't used it extensively given that it's so new, I can't help but love it so far. Its dead quiet, holds the arrow well, and can't be much harder to tune than any other (2 axis' adjustable via an allen wrench).

Fritz
Old 01-15-2004, 07:26 AM
Dominant Buck

All my friends and hunting buddies and myself have the Muzzy Zero Effect. Yes it's quiet and totally reliable. The main thing I like about it is you NEVER have to worry about where the arrow is. If you have to let down you don't have to worry about the arrow being pinched off the string. It'll stay put. You can sit in a tree, turn the bow just about any way you want, draw and the arrow is where it's suppose to be. Never again do you worry about fletching contact or the arrow falling off the rest. It also minimizes hand torque induced at the moment of truth because once the arrow starts to move forward the rest is gone and out of the picture. It's deadly accurate. I've had mine for nearly 3 years. If mine broke tomorrow I'd buy another. If that one broke 2 months from now.... I'd buy another. Mine has never broken or moved. When you change string you may have to do a little adjusting but when the string is broken in you're good to go. LOVE IT.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have to let down you don't have to worry about the arrow being pinched off the string.
David, not disputing your findings that the ZE is a great rest, but isn't the above really more a function of string angle at full draw and resultant nock pinch?

In my opinion, the main advantage of a drop away is clearance for shooting helical fletch.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:03 AM

Save your money and minimize risk of malfunction. For hunting purposes, a "drop-away" is absolutely unnecessary. Considering that other "standard" rests having a lesser chance of failure, and have been and are still performing well and flawlessly, I would like to hear facts that justify using a "drop away" outside of personal bias.

Pro-arguments based on fletch contact, arrow holding, and speed, do not count. Fletch contact on a properly adjusted "standard" rest is nowhere near the problem as some espouse. For those that seem to have a problem keeping their arrow on their rest; simple, cheap, and well performing arrow holders have been on the market for eons. Any increase in speed is too minute to be important for the average yardage most deer are shot and the length of average time that an arrow is in flight.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll have to disagree to some extent with c903 on this one. You are correct that a well tuned fixed rest will perform as well as any rest on the market, regardless of design. More reliable? This is where I'm not understanding. Most drop aways use a spring inside to force the prongs to the down position. This is just reversed for a standard rest. So I can't see where it would be unreliable in that aspect. I will however mention that not all drop aways are created equal. Some, like the MZE and the NAP rests use a much better connection than others do in my opinion. They are pretty well bomb proof.

As far as what so great about drop aways. Well for me, its not the accuracy, its the containment. I'm not one for little flippy things and such that hold the arrow and flip out of the way on draw. Some dropaways have excellent containment features (MZE, NAP QT's, Dropzone). Yes, you do gain a little more consistancy with a drop away, but thats not anything you can't do with a conventional rest. In a way, drop aways do bandaid minor form flaws in that respect.

Drop aways are legit in my opinion and I really feel they are hear to stay. Check some out, you might like them.

Quick Reply: alright give me the low down on drop away rest

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.