Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stickbow vs Compound (training wheels)

Old 01-15-2004, 11:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Stickbow vs Compound (training wheels)

Every one play NICE now. Whyyyyyyyy..... ahhh .... eerrrrr.... some of my best friends shoot trad.[:-][&:] By the way.. have you noticed that in their quest to get down to the basics ..... they hardly ever spell the complete word.

Guess WHo?? Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck

Old 01-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just because you hunt with a longbow doesn't mean your any better a hunter or archer.
Nobody ever said that - at least I didn't. But there IS a weapons difference in the two types of bows.

My major question though is why do compound bows tick so many traditionals off?
Because we know attrocities of the compound bow, because anyone who shoots one of those montrosicites ia a low, life, good for nothing ... . oh, I just can't do it ! Compound don't tick me off, neitehr do crossbows or spears. I have seen the door sway both ways, from "we're better" to "we don't wound as many animals" etc etc. But those who say that compounds are not very different are hugely WRONG.

"People don't have to hunt as hard with a compound"
Then why use a compound and not a recurve ? Uhhhhh, because the compounds is easier and increases the chance of kill. Nothing wrong with that, but its a TRUE.

Compound Shooters can shoot further
Another absolute TRUE. Why are 3D stakes closer for trad shooters ?

Compound shooters dont take the time to learn their equipment
I think thats a true simply because trad shooters love to shoot at anything from leaves to pop cans to deer. Stump shooting is a blast - don't see many compounders doing that. But theres bad apples in every groups, and good ones too. This cannot be proven one way or the other.

Nough said
Vast majority of archers use compound - I'd LOVE to see ya'll answer WHY THAT IS ??

Would it not be with a compound? I have a recurve, and I can't hit the broadside of a barn with that thing past about 12yds. I have a TON of respect for guys that can accurately shoot and kill deer with traditional equipment. But, my main goal in bowhunting is to kill as many large whitetails as I can. So, if I have that once in a lifetime buck standing there at 30yds, I don't want to be poking and hoping. If I could shoot a recurve as good as I can a compound, I would choose recurve, the fact is I can't. And I don't have enough time to become profficient with one, so I choose and LOVE to bowhunt whitetails with a compound.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. but if you hunted one season with a recurve, limiting yourself to 10 yard shots and bagged a 170" whitetail ... wouldn't that be a great accomplishment ? Of course a rifle killed buck that size would be too, or a muzzleloader, and a compound kill especially would be ... but a recurve kill at 10 yards ? Even sweeter. Jump on its back and stab it to death with a Leatherman and you've reached the Holy Grail of hunting
Old 01-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trad or compound, who cares. If you were REALLY good you could just throw your arrows at em'
Old 01-15-2004, 01:33 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

"...shooting the way it should be--instinctivly with a stickbow, to eliminate all the problems gadgets and doo dads. As our forefounding fathers of archery and the american indians that wich a kept things rather simple. Heres a few names you might recognize, lets start with uh, The Freds, Fred Bear and Fred Asbell, uh, Howard and Jerry HIll...

Someone please tell NativeStickBowPonyRiderSaysUhTooManyTimes that he should probably look for a new hero. Howard Hill was a lot of things, but...uh...an instinctive archer...uh...wasn't one of them...uh.

"DING, DING, DING, LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!!"

Sure. But you might want to stop leading with your chin. [&:]
Old 01-15-2004, 01:43 PM

JRW read my other post
Old 01-15-2004, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Aurther P, I use a corncob once a week whether it needs it or not. And no, on recurve nights I take a cab. Have a great day.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:18 PM

First of all, i have never read anything as uhh annoying as uhh your uh posts cuz uhh you dont uhh know uhh what the uhh hell uhh youre uhh talking about. What kind of idiot types like that? i was going to type more but i dont want any problems.........mods close this thread before i say something to get me in trouble.....
Old 01-15-2004, 06:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I believe everyone of us pursues the sport for their own reasons. If your preference is traditional equipment then more power to you. I don't have the skills to head in that direction.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I believe everyone of us pursues the sport for their own reasons. If your preference is traditional equipment then more power to you. I don't have the skills to head in that direction.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:13 PM

Hey jag-man,

If it was the boil on my butt.....I'd hope the "first"!

Quick Reply: Stickbow vs Compound (training wheels)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.