Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stickbow vs Compound (training wheels)

Old 01-15-2004, 10:02 AM

Default RE: Stickbow vs Compound (training wheels)

all this fuss over a guy that came to this forum just to start crap.......i'm glad i shoot with a compound bow...........
Old 01-15-2004, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rack-attack - No no. Don't confuse your CHOICES of hunting with what equipment is used. Choosing to wait for a large deer is difficult whether you have a self bow or a rifle ... but SHOOTING or TAGGING the deer - and the weapon used, can vastly alter the hunt. You taking a compound after mature whitetails indicates you want your best chance at tagging one of those brutes ... and so you leave the recurve at home to increase your odds. Nothing at all wrong with that - just clarifying.

Here in Georgia the Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia will not let you become a full member of their elitist club if you hunt with anything other than trad gear. Kind of elitist don't you think?
I'm a trad shooter I suppose, and I'm drawing a muzzleloader tag for CO elk this fall. I've been bashed for that - and I do not care. Why am I drawing that muzz tag ? I want to fill a tag, take home 200 pounds of boneless meat and increase my odds of doing that. Sure would be more challenging ... and more rewarding to do it with my stickbow, but I'm drawing the muzz tag and going that route. I guess I'd not be a good candidate for the TB's of Georgia huh ?

Belle Island

nothing takes the place of putting down a mature buck.

And if my compound will let me get that extra 10 yds I need, so be it.

Ahhh, but if you COULD down a 170" 6-7 year old buck with a recurve ... wouldn't that be the cake and eating it too ??
Old 01-15-2004, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

Just because you hunt with a longbow doesn't mean your any better a hunter or archer.

And just because you use a compound doesn't mean your better either.

I can't understand all the heat in here we are all archers and all hunt weather we choose to stalk, ground hunt, use a tree stand, call, bait, drive, just wait quietly use longbow, or compound we are all doing the same HUNTING. I applaud every hunter young and old gun or bow. Hunting is not at all a cut and dry and my hat is off to every successful hunter out there.

Congrats to all and safe hunting.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:19 AM

uhhhh, well uhhh, I uhhh, shoot uhhh, a uhhhh bow uhhh with uhhh training uhhh wheels uhhhhh

Seriously though, I am so sick of this "my way is better than your way" attitude. How the heck does it really matter if some guy 500 miles from you is shooting a compound and you shoot a stick bow????? What major impact will it make in your life???? If that is what you worry about, well then you have issues.

Then some clown had to put pulley's on the ends of the limbs and screwed everything up forever more.
Arthur, if some guy hadn't put pulley's on the end of the limbs, do you think that there would be as many archers out there today? What I am saying is that that guy might have ruined your idea of "archery", but he probablly saved archery hunting. Do you think that archery hunting would be around if the only bow was a stick bow? The amount of archers would be small, and anti-hunting groups would have picked them apart by now.

My major question though is why do compound bows tick so many traditionals off? It is your preferance to use a stick bow or whatever, and it is my preferance to use a compound bow. It isn't like compound shooters are going to get rid of your equipment so why in the world does it bother you? It seems to me that there is just a small portion of traditional archers who think like this, and these elitists can never state a good solid reason why the hate compound bows!

The answers I have seen go along the lines...

"People don't have to hunt as hard with a compound" Okay, shooting (the part that involves using the bow), is only a small part of the hunt. Scouting, stand placement, and luck are the big factor in the hunt! If Joe Blow buys a compound, it doesn't make him a great hunter!

"Compound Shooters can shoot further" Says who? I am pretty sure that if you put me and my bow beside Byron Fergguson, he is gonna probablly out shoot me. Accuracy depends on your efficeny with your weapon. Sure, some guy may be able to accurately shoot at 70 yards with a compound, but, if a traditional new his equipment well enough, he could do the same thing.

"Compound shooters dont take the time to learn their equipment" Says who? I am pretty sure that not every traditional archer out there practices to be incredibly efficent. Yet again, this has nothing to do with the bow, it has to do with the shooter and his determination to become a great shooter.

Nough said
Old 01-15-2004, 10:19 AM

Ahhh, but if you COULD down a 170" 6-7 year old buck with a recurve ... wouldn't that be the cake and eating it too ??
Would it not be with a compound? I have a recurve, and I can't hit the broadside of a barn with that thing past about 12yds. I have a TON of respect for guys that can accurately shoot and kill deer with traditional equipment. But, my main goal in bowhunting is to kill as many large whitetails as I can. So, if I have that once in a lifetime buck standing there at 30yds, I don't want to be poking and hoping. If I could shoot a recurve as good as I can a compound, I would choose recurve, the fact is I can't. And I don't have enough time to become profficient with one, so I choose and LOVE to bowhunt whitetails with a compound.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:22 AM

I can remember using a 35 lb. stick bow in the late 50's. I used to go down to a little pond and whack some bull frogs. Then I played with a recurve thru my teens. Life changed, college, marriage, son, military, work ,work, work, and all of a sudden my son Joe wants to bow hunt. He buys a used PSE, I buy a $10 recurve at a church sale. Hooked again after all those years thanks to my boys sudden interest. Well, age kinda took it's toll. I practised like hell but I was no longer able to whack frogs, let alone a block. My son howled as I launched one after another. I mean I felt like I had never shot a bow in my life. Joe kept sending arow after arrow into beautiful tight groups. I practiced till my fingers were raw. Finally, it all came back. It was fun again like when I was just a boy. Joe had led me back to my youth. I felt young again. A dad and a boy having a good time together. Is'nt that what it is all about? Or should we rant on about various forms of hunting. LIFE IS TOO SHORT MY FRIENDS! Try and just have fun with your family & or friends.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:27 AM

thats wright............
Old 01-15-2004, 10:33 AM

I enjoy shooting them both.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:33 AM

Hey Rack does that mean I can't use gas to aid in the starting of the fire.[:-]
Old 01-15-2004, 10:42 AM

To a trad shooter I am sure it would be - and a GREAT accomplishment to boot

But I can say with 100% honesty that no - for me it would not be eating the cake it also.

If given the choice I would rather shoot him with my compound. I am a compound shooter - I love my compounds and all the crap that I screw onto them. I really have no desire to hunt with a recurve - even if my chances where the same as with my compound.

I would bet that for both of us our weapons are a very important part of the entire hunting experience. It is a personal choice, and as much as you or other trad guys would not want to shoot a deer with a compound - I would not want to shoot him with a recurve.

Good Luck

Hey Rack does that mean I can't use gas to aid in the starting of the fire.
Yea - thats a sure way to get exiled from the camp

Quick Reply: Stickbow vs Compound (training wheels)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.