Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stickbow vs Compound (training wheels)

Old 01-14-2004, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stickbow vs Compound (training wheels)

They must have liked some sort of technology. I dont remember seeing them using heads made of stone. Or strings of sinew. I think a true traditionalist would shake at the thought of toilet paper. A bow is a bow is a bow. And another question is why in the heck are we falling into this trap of recurve and compound again? I feel that if a guy whats to shoot of his longbow off of a pony then he should also try shooting a compound off of a thouroughbred. Go ahead Arthur I am sure you have something to say. You know it won't bother me because I like to fool around with a recurve once in a while. Unless this is you starting this up again. To hell with talking. Lets go hunting. This is going to be a long off season isn't it... I think that it may get worse the farther we are between seasons. Fred Bear was a great hunter but I don't think that Chuck Adams is any slouch either. There are all good hunters. I don't think that they would have gotten into a bow battle either over who's equipment is better. Quote me again. I thinks its cute.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:31 PM
Typical Buck

akbound are you talking a lance you prick a boil with? or the one you knock
another knight off his paint pony.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

You know it won't bother me because I like to fool around with a recurve once in a while.
So, when you're fooling around with recurves you avoid driving a car, getting on the computer or wiping with toilet paper, right?

Stone points vs steel points. Sinew strings vs dacron. Glass backed bows vs baleen backed, even the different arrow materials... None of that technology ever fundamentally changed archery or bowhunting over 50,000 years of history.

Then some clown had to put pulley's on the ends of the limbs and screwed everything up forever more. [:'(]

You know, I still use a corncob even when I'm fooling with my compounds.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the electronic campfire brother! There's a few skins around but we're out numbered.

Congrats! You've earned your feather on your first post!

Where you from?
Old 01-14-2004, 10:31 PM

NativeStickBowPony or whatever your name is....

Since I was the only one to reply to your duplicate post in the Trad section, maybe you should run (or ride your pony) over to the Leather Wall. You could really have some fun spreading the word over there.

Gawd-awful trolls, anyway...[>:]
Old 01-14-2004, 11:13 PM

To appease both sides.... my new bow!.....

Old 01-15-2004, 04:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I was killing deer with a stickbow before you thought of getting into archery. You were just a snotty nosed brat with a wad in you diapers when I killed my first deer with a stickbow. Now I shoot a compound. SO WHAT SNOTNOSE? [:-][:-]

Having started that way I don't remember it as some sort of tough demanding thing. I practiced, I got proficient and I shot things. Pretty much like shooting them with a compound. My range was less, my arrows slow, but it was still bowhunting. It's not that tough... it's suppose to be fun. Take a powder chief.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

and hheeeerrrreeee we go !

NativeStickBowMan - You can accurately shoot your recurve/longbow to 50 yards ? You should do 3D - you'd win a bunch (if you are telling the truth). Also, grow up a bit and bite back like a big dog (or go play in the puppy pen). Getting insulted over the internet is absoluetley ridiculous

Rack-attack

I would much rather try my best at shooting mature bucks with my "training wheels"

Than to go out and plink does and dinks with a recurve - no matter how hard you guys say it is.
May I interpret that as saying that you're better with a compound and it gives you a greater opportunity to kill a deer than you would with your recurve ? Absolutely nothing wrong with that, just trying to read between the lines. Thoughts of 300 fps, 80% letoff, 50-60 yards accuracy etc etc dance through my head occassionally too !

I like that high tech computer that you are using to spread the message of being traditional.
Hmmmm. Hard to argue that huh ?

Pinelander - what kind of bow IS that ?
Old 01-15-2004, 07:06 AM

Pinelander - what kind of bow IS that ?
I saw it on www.archeryhistory.com (the 1980-89 compounds)

Rare prototype cam in string design.This bow was made using a Howatt Mamba recurve. Cam is built in to bowstring. Makes an interesting design but not one that works. The cam hits the limb when shot. This bow also features a cable guard with a roller and slide. (designer unknown)

btw - why do I always have to log-in for each post? I select "save cookie", but still have to login-in each time.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well uh I hope you uh give yourself uh a big pat on the back uh cause uh your my hero uh[8D][>:][&:][][X(][:'(]

Anyway, you getleman can argue until you're blue in the face about who's equipment is superior yadda yadda yadda. I will be putting that effort into scouting a good buck and figuring out how to kill him. We all hunt animals to kill them, how you or anyone else does it is irrelevant to me. If that is what gives you the sense of accomplishment then have at it. In the mean time if you want to start a biggest **** contest, I will gladly compare the quantity or quality of the deer that I have killed to yours in any manner that you would like to. Top 5 deer, Top 10 deer, total deer killed in any 5 year period, total deer killed in any 10 year period, you name it (and you're 8 years older than me). I bet you're not near as superior as you think you are!

Quick Reply: Stickbow vs Compound (training wheels)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.