Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Building A/C/C arrow?

Old 01-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default Building A/C/C arrow?

I am planning on building a dozen a/c/c arrows and need some help with what components and field points I need to purchase along with the shafts. Can the a/c/c's be shot using a TM prong rest or will I need to go to a drop away due to their diameter. I fletched a shaft tonight and the clearance between the prongs looks awful close even with just a small helical on my bitz jig!!! thanks for the info.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Building A/C/C arrow?

First we need to know what size acc's you are shooting I have shot them for years and I love them. They can be shot froma tm hunter type rest that is what I used until the Muzzy ZE came out and that is what I use now you are right the tolerance between the prongs is rather small if you shoot an helical fletch it is hard to get right but with an off set ot straight fletch it will clear with no problem. In the Acc's anything smaller than 349 you cant get inserts for you have to have halfouts thgat is what I use due to shooting 339's but I have always shot that setup with no problems at all.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

royak, thanks for the response. I am shooting 27.5 inch arrow from my hoyt razortech set at 60lbs. The arrows recommended by my local pro shop are the super lite acc's 3-28/500. my fletcher is a bitz jig with a right helical clamp. I was going to order the nocks, fieldpoints, and inserts but am lost as to what I need to complete the arrows. I also didn't know if I needed to use 3 or 4 inch feathers with these. I shoot 100gr spitfire broadheads. The fletching clearance is awful tight and I am not sure I can make them fly thru my tm hunter rest. I only bought 3 arrows to give them a try. thanks for the help
Old 01-14-2004, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Another question for you guys. Do any of you use the a/c/c's for hunting? I noticed that my spitfire when attatched to the shaft is a quite a bit bigger than the shaft size. Is this a problem? Can the a/c/c's be used for hunting or more for target practice. Just trying to find out before I invest 130.00 in a dozen arrows.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:00 PM

All three of the deer I've killed were with ACC's. All three were pass throughs and the size of the ferrule didn't seem to affect anything. Be careful with ACC's, though. I had it in my head that with the carbon shell, they wouldn't get bent. I was wrong. I checked them before the season, and I only had 4-5 out of a dozen that were acceptable when spin tested with a straightness gauge.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:09 PM
Typical Buck

were they new arrows?
Old 01-15-2004, 05:55 AM

About a year old. Shot quite a bit, but not abused in any way. Shot into foam target and a deer target at home, then a range target. I probably just had the wrong expectations, but I'm going to a different arrow since I don't trust them anymore and it would be very expensive to replace them.