Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I thought it would be harder.

Old 01-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Spike

Default RE: I thought it would be harder.

Red Hawk...

LOL! Those groups are pretty tight with just one arrow! (couldn't resist)
Old 01-14-2004, 02:21 AM

I easily learned to drive a car at a very early age. For a time, being I knew how to start the car and steer it, I thought I was an accomplished driver as the rest of the drivers on the road. Eventually, I discovered that my vehicle required maintenance and tuning and was susceptible to break downs, minor and major. It was then that I realized that there was more to owning and driving a car than just starting and steering it.

Since I did not have deep pockets, I had to learn to maintain and fix my own cars. Doing so required that I learned the basic mechanics and nomenclature of a vehicle. I did but it took a lot of trial and error and much time. Eventually, I learned that a major breakdown required that I learn much more if I were to repair my own vehicle. I also learned that not knowing how to properly maintain and tune a car could easily lead to poor peformance and major malfunctions.

Eventually, a long eventually, I now knew how to properly maintain my own vehicles and do minor and major repairs. During my extensive learning period, I also learned that there was more to driving a vehicle than just steering it down the road. Proper driving decreased wear and tear on my vehicle, and defensive driving kept me out of accidents.

It has been a long 48 years and I am still learning different things about vehicles. Learning to drive was easy….until I was faced with reality and knowledge.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

A guy has to admire your "archery innocence"! Man I loved those days.

Then one day as David has said, you wake up and just try to be to precise. A little here, a little there. Suddenly your "innocence" is gone.

Ever seen a rock that has had water dripping on it for years. Look up erosion in the dictionary and you will see my picture.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes ! it's a total different feeling when that moment arrive's and he's standing in front of you .That's when you forget all about the thing's that you learned about your form and shooting.

nubo
Old 01-14-2004, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL @!

I have argued time and again on message board how easy shooting compounds were. IF your bow is tuned, you will become nicely accurate at 20 yards, and after some practice beyond.

Why ?

The modern compound bow , release aids, sights, carbons, mech broadheads etc etc - they are built to make shooting easy.

That doesn't mean killing a deer with your bow is going to be easy, but the difficuly of mastering the equipment (shooting skills) has for the most part been removed with the modern compound bows.

Not knocking you at all zak123 - kudos to you for taking the bowhunting challenge. Seriously, its not a piece of cake to kill a deer with a compound even though you're hitting where you're aiming.

I've never had target panic - off days maybe, but not target panic like I've read. I won't get it either because I don't want it.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:41 AM

Your shooting well because you did not expect to shoot well.

Wait a bit until you are expecting to hit the X and you need to hit the X

Thats when the X becomes very small
Old 01-14-2004, 07:04 AM

Zak,

I'm glad to hear you introduction to this wonderful sport is going smoothly. Although nice tight groups are good, you will soon fine that tight groups get expensive. The first couple of times you Robin Hood and arrow you'll think "damn thats cool" but is looses its appeal and you'll soon find yourself thinking"damn, another 15$". LOL Oh the price of being good!

If you intend on hunting you may want to invest in a 3-d target. The sooner you start shooting at "deer" the easier it will be when the time comes. Keep at it and remember the most important thing is to have fun
Old 01-14-2004, 07:34 AM

when i got my new mathews fx first shot from 25 yrds was a bullseye, followed by a few more; I dont think shoting is hard at all.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Going into my 46th year of archery-have won state championships, Great Lakes sectional, robin hoods, perfect scores & killed several types of big game-Elk, Deer, Caribou, Black Bears, Wild Boars. Glad you started off so well-get some other things under your belt like competition or that 1st 20 yard shot at a biggame animal & see how tight your group is-not making fun-some have it, some don't. Good luck & enjoy a sport that has been my life & made me a better person for those I have met & made friends of over the years. Many good people in this sport & they like you for you, not how good or bad your group is.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

A properly set up bow almost shoots itself..........you just draw and release.

Don't think that just because they are shooting so well, you don't need to practice. Practice will keep you shooting accurately............

Quick Reply: I thought it would be harder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.