Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

TURKEYS

Old 01-10-2004, 10:32 AM

Default TURKEYS

i plan on turkey hunting with my bow this spring and need advice on a good broadhead. i heard mechanicle heads with wide cutting diameter work the best but id also like to know what fixed bladed heads work good. I am shooting around 62-63 pounds. 28 1/2 in draw. any advice would be appriciated.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: TURKEYS

A problem with the fixed blade head is that they usually will fly though the turkey and the turkey will run off. The mechanicals work well because some of the kinetic energy is eaten up expanding the blades thus providing more of a shock. There is a mecanical out there designed for turkies. They are called Gobbler Stoppers. I cant remember who makes them but some-one reading this will probably know. The tip is more rounded to slow the arrow on impact. I have hunted turkey with the bow from a blind. It is alot of fun....Try it and see.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:21 AM

a real good turkey broadhead is the rocket hammerhead. These blades are huge with a 2 inch cutting diameter. On this one video, you watch a kid take a turkey with a crossbow. he hits it low but with 2 inches of cutting diameter it drops in like 40-50 yards. i have a pack of them and i want to use them on deer but i am afraid to because i am not sure i will get the deep enough penetration shooting only 70 and using carbon arrows. But for turkey, they have the knock down power. good luck!
Old 01-10-2004, 11:21 AM

NAP MAKES A MECHANICA;L CALLED THE GOBBLER GETTER, OR THE REGULAR SPITFIRE WORKS WELL TOO.