Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you miss an elephant????

Old 01-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How do you miss an elephant????

I was at the range tonight shooting in the snow and I was joined by a gentleman who was having problems getting his bow back. After looking at his equipment and asking him what he was preparing to do, he informed me that he was getting ready to hunt elephants. He had problems finding arrows for his 105 lb. bow. One of the local shops was able to put two arrows together. One inside of the other. He also informed me that he missed one last June at 15 yards. My first question to him I beleive was a valid one. How in the hell did you miss a elephant at 15 yrds. He informed me that you tend to get a little excited at that close of range. I know the next time I miss a deer that close, I won't feel quite as bad. At least it wasn't an elephant.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you miss an elephant????

He must never practice, or he is blind...only exucuses I could think of.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Being completely overbowed is how you do it.You said he was having trouble getting it back just practicing,now take into account the addrenaline that would be pumping through your vanes if you had an elephant standing 15 yards in front of you.He just got excited and got a case of elephant fever
Old 01-09-2004, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd have to agree with TFOX!

Only those that have been that close to animals that can and will kill you in an instant can explain the difference in the adrenaline rush compared to that of hunting whitetails from the tree tops!
Old 01-09-2004, 10:31 PM

He must've been looking at the horns, oops I mean tusks!
Old 01-09-2004, 11:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can understand missing from getting excited, especially a big big game like that. But my thoughts are 105 lbs? that is bout 40 pounds less then I do.(I am tall and skinny) I would have to literally use my legs to draw that weight! []
Old 01-10-2004, 03:46 AM

I agree with elkcrazy, how do u miss an elephant at 15 yds. It seems like if u were facing foward and able to make the release, u by default would hit it.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:36 AM

I've heard of people missing elephants with firearms....at that range. I have a feeling being in the presence of several tons of muscle, trunk, tusks, and attitude have a lot to do with it.

My mother's cousin was a missionary to many different countries, on several different continents. Over a vast number of years he and his family accumulated many souvenirs. As a young child, and into teen years, I spent many an enamored hour, handling, admiring, and listening quietly to stories behind each of these. (Unfortunately the visits were always too short....as they moved alot....and there was soo much to see and hear.) Among some of the items I most remember were a war club...which was made entirely of wood and look as if it had been "fire hardened". It had a head made of a naturally occuring "knot" or "bulbous" end. There was a buffalo hide shield that was probably 6' tall or so and at its widest point probably 30" or so. There was a blow gun, with assorted darts.....some of which had their heads smeared black with a "poison" that affected the respiratory/nervous system of its intended victim....but didn't taint it for later consumption. There were numerous knives, pangas, bolos, machettes, and two or three spears with hand forged blades. One blade was between 2' to 3' long and probably 3" in width.

But the one item that you all would probably have found most interesting was a hand fashioned "long bow" of sorts. This bow was not a long bow in the classic English tradition....but a long bow looking type bow, (actually self bow in todays venacular). I have no idea what type of wood it was made of....and I am no longer certain which part of Africa it was made in. (Since my mother's death we have been in less contact with much of the extended family.....and my 20 plus years in the military didn't help stay in touch either. But a good excuse for me to attempt to re-contact some of the extended family.) The other things I distinctly remember is that even as a 5'9" tall teen...this bow was another foot or so longer than I was tall. My mother's cousin had probably two or three dozen different arrows to accompany it. Some were tipped with hand fashioned iron heads, some were of stone, and some were simply "fire hardened" sharpened wood. And there was evidence that they had been dipped in something as well. All of the arrows were much longer than the arrows we more commonly see in use today. I would venture a guess that they must have been between 3 1/2' to 4' long. The other feature that I recall is that the bow when brought to full draw was something over 150 pounds. And it had been measured at one point earlier in its existence. And yes....it "stacked" as it neared full draw. My mother's cousin related many accounts of the peoples they had met....and many accounts of how his family had come to acquire these items over the decades. (And there were many others as well. Wall carvings, blankets, baskets, etc....but being a "normal" boy for the period....it was the weapons that intrigued me.) But I also distinctly remember him telling me, numerous times, that the bow was commonly shot at different draw lengths by its owner....depending upon the arrow, the "target", and the situation. It wasn't always shot from an "anchor point" like we have accepted as a standard for good bowmanship. It was used "situationally" like we would match a "load" for a particular job. And the users of these bows....were extraordinary hunters and warriors. They had literally been raised with "tools of hunting, war, and defense, much like we were raised to read or write.

I had completely forgotten about these things....until I read this post. Sorry the post was so lengthy..but I thought some of you might enjoy it. I will have to make an effort to reach these members of the family...and see if I can "relearn" so much of the information I've forgotten. And in many cases of my youth....was too distracted to always pay keen attention. Maybe one day in the not too distant future I'll be able to track the information down again....and get some photos to include. I know I found it fascinating even in my youth.

Dave
Old 01-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Thats sorta like missing the barn door with a shovel. I can understand how you might get a little excited about the possibility of becoming the hunted rather than the hunter in an instant.

Good story
Old 01-10-2004, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wrong pin.

Quick Reply: How do you miss an elephant????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.