Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So, whats everyone's plans for the off-season?

Old 01-09-2004, 06:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: So, whats everyone's plans for the off-season?

Well, as soon as our extended archery season ends on Saturday I am going to head out and do some post season scouting...including creating some new "travel routes" for some of the deer in my area. I am also going to be scouting out some new areas to hunt.

Besides that, I will shoot the occasional 3D shoot on a Sunday morning and begin scouting for Spring turkey. I will probably also start to get more into outdoor photography as I seem to have developed an interest in it.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Predator hunt for another month and a half. Research and buy a new bow(maybe). Redo the basement in my house, then its trout season, a little spring gobbler, lots of smallmouth fishing and some groundhog hunting. That should keep me busy till next fall.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot my bow. Shoot 3D with my son. We're taking a long vacation in our motor home out west this summer. My work will be cut out training the new puppy we're getting this weekend. Then there's turkey season in April and May. Plus I have until the end of Jan to hunt deer. Life is good.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:53 AM

OFF SEASON???? leagues are just starting, and 3D isn't all that far off either? I dont think there is an Off season!
Old 01-09-2004, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's about time for the 'orange army' to go home, so it's about time to start stomping the brushpiles and briar patches for rabbits. Squirrels. Hogs any time. Turkey season. Bowfishing for carp in the spring, gar in the summer. Run the archery club's weekly fun shoots and tournaments. Hit a few other club's 3D shoots, maybe a field archery tournament or two... Then it's deer season again.

I keep hearing references to this 'offseason' thing... What the sam hill is that, anyway???

Edit: I dang near forgot... I've got a tree picked out that needs to get cut and split into staves. Oughta get at least 4, maybe even 6, selfbows out of it. Something to do in my spare time, when I ain't fishin'.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:16 AM

Ditch my peep sight for a timberline no peep and shoot like heck this summer.
Right on!

I've looked thru a dark peep for the last time. It's too cold in my neck of the woods to shoot this time of year and I'm not about to pay to shoot indoors. The next time I shoot my bow it will be peepless.
I'd also like to pick up a couple of used stands and a tree suite. As spring comes back around I'll start doing my scouting and before you know it it'll be September and I'll be wishing I'd remembered to add a therma-cell to my list of things to get in the off season.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well seeing as we just had a light snowfall I plan on doing a little scouting for next year, I know the deer patterns pretty well on one section of the property I am hunting, but want to check out the other sections and this snowfall is just perfect for that, maybe an inch at the most. Other than that get my arrows all refletched again, retune my bow and practice a lot. The of course there is fishing, heck I even got a counter top with a sink in it for free that I am going to set up as a fish cleaning station behind my deer shed. then of course trying to find new property to hunt on and tons of scouting.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:48 AM

Well, I've still got until the end of February to bowhunt deer, but I probably will only get back out a few more times. I hope to do some scouting and shed hunting in March. After that I will get a new string put on my bow and also experiment with several different limb and cam designs to go on my bow. By that time it will be summer and I will start shooting a couple of days week. Next thing you know it will be August and September and I will start scouting for early season bowhunting and once October rolls arounds I will have 5 months to chase whitetails again!!!