Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone hunt on that is 40 acres or less?

Old 01-09-2004, 10:49 PM

Default RE: Anyone hunt on that is 40 acres or less?

The two properties i hunt on is 10 acres of woods one place.. and 7 on the other.. the 7 acre land has one buck that can make the books.. seen him 4 times once 10 yards away but spooked him.. still see him.. just to far for a shot.. he'll soo screw up and be mine.. got till the 31st!
Old 01-10-2004, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for sharing your experience everyone.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:28 PM

We have 32 acres of which 2/3 are wooded. There is a creek running along the bottom next to the road, then open acreage, then woods that go up a slope at a steep degree about 1200 feet. There are also a few springs so the deer have plenty of water in the summer. The woods are mostly maple, pine, oak and sassafrass. The does love to bed on the slope where the pine and maple intermingle with lots of deadfall. The bucks don't bed here - at least I have never spooked one out. They usually pass thru to bed somewhere else. We have a salt lick that is always out and we plan on getting a couple of mineral licks to set up. The open acreage has lots of apple and crabapple trees which we plan on pruning to get them to produce better. We would like to get an acre or two of good clover planted in the lower field but we don't have the means to dig up the ground yet. On good years we have a lot of acorns and apples but it's not enough to compete with neighborning corn fields. We've only been here seven years so we haven't had the chance to get things just the way we want. I don't think we have to do too much as long as the does prefer bedding here!
Old 01-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

We own a 31 acre piece of mountain land and haved kiled anywhere between 3-5 deer every year. The best thing to do is to get a food source on your property. If its mostly a bedding area then that's not too great because the more you hunt it, the more likely you spook the deer. Unless you treat the bedding areas as sanctuaries, then your small property could be a hotspot compared to other pressured parcels bordering your property. If its long and narrow like davidmil said then thats really good because deer have to cross it sometime. As small as that is you can't really do any trophy management unless the nearby landowners cooperate. The best bet is to hunt it as sparingly and as stealthily as possibly so the deer don't know you're there. Small places can be very productive.