Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunt downwind or buy all the fancy scent free stuff?

Old 01-09-2004, 08:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hunt downwind or buy all the fancy scent free stuff?

I started off hard core scent free as possible.........but I have learned to hunt the wind !! You can't beat their nose............you simply can't !!!
I think trying to..... was the most frustrating thing I have experienced in bowhunting !

In actuality ........I think when you come to this realization......you become a much better bowhunter........and set up stand locations much better !
You said it all, although when I started off our idea of scent control was rubber boots![8D]

I control my scent, but not fanatically, as long as you are playing the wind correctly with stand location, if possible I always set 2 stands to allow for the wind changing and not having to go to a totally different location if the wind shifts.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Human scent is like the sound of a radio that you cannot shut off. You cannot eliminate that sound but you can most certainly turn it down.

The chemical suits costs about $20. The camo patterns they come in work just fine.

If you don't think they work, you probably haven't hunted in them. I've hunted with them and without. See a lot more deer overall with them.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

vc1111

I agree with you on the chemical suits but man do they get you nasty and when you wash the carbon out they don't seem to work as well but they do seem to work to some degree.They are the only scent lock suit I have ever bought but mine doesn't have any carbon left but I do still wear it.Makes a great semi cold weather suit.

I remember the first day I put it on out of the package and I had deer on all sides of me and directly underneath me and actually walking the trail I used to get to my stand and they hung around for quite a while,I was looking for a nice buck and these were all does but I was really enjoying that hunt.The clothes may or may not have been a help because I do bathe in scent free soap before every hunt but man what a day.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:13 PM

never had a problem with wind but i use scentaway
Old 01-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use both. I have enough stands that I can hunt a stand that gives me an advantage from any wind direction. I don't use a lot of cover scent, but wear rubber boots and spray them down with scent eliminator. I have been winded wearing the scent lock stuff mainly when the wind goes calm or swirls and is pretty warm. It seems to me that your scent just settles in around you. You can never predict for sure which direction deer will come from, just play the percentages. I have had deer come in directly downwind and never smelled me. A lot depends on the weather conditions and how your scent is trailing. Sometimes it stays up high and sometimes it is forced to the ground. I don't care what you do, you will sometimes be winded.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

In all the years that I have been archery hunting, I have only ever been winded while hunting probablly two or three times.
Really ?? They all don't blow and run off. Many you'll just never see. Good example of this. I was hunting while it was snowing one day. Decided to get down and take a look around 10am. Well about 75 yards down wind of my stand I find about four sets of tracks that obviously had stopped and turned around and went back were they came from. I'd have to say they had winded me. I also had a doe with her fawns come out in a field one afternoon about 200 yards away. Wind blowing right to them. Sat there and watched there demenour change and trot back into the woods. After obviously getting wind of me. I take as many percausions as possible and still get winded. Both of these experiences happened where deer encounter humans alot and believe me they didin't ignore human scent.