Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bow accesories - what is/isn't needed/useful

Old 01-07-2004, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default bow accesories - what is/isn't needed/useful

Of all the various accessories that you can put on a bow, what are the best/most beneficial??

Such as: various Sims accessories (buttons, etc.), string leeches, cable dampeners, limb nut dampeners (PSE NV & SIMS, others), etc.

what do I need, what can I live without?
Old 01-07-2004, 06:29 PM

Default RE: bow accesories - what is/isn't needed/useful

i love the sims solid limbsavers and the sims cable dampeners,it makes my bow shoot great ,and realy quite......
Old 01-07-2004, 06:59 PM

This would be a great question for Fred Bear! We modern day bowhunters love our gadgets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2004, 09:20 PM

You don't need the most expensive stuff. A cheap sight works just as well as a $90 dollar sight. A $198.99 bow will kill em just as dead as a $600 bow. Limb savers are worth getting as are most of the silencing devices. I think its good to have an extra release. I'm bad about droping mine from my stand or, worse, leaving it at home. I went a while without a kisser button, but now that I have one, I wouldn't do without it! One change that I'm going to make is to get a smaller, 3 arrow bow quiver. If you practice without a quiver, then try to shoot with the quiver attached, there is a significant adjustment to be made. I bought an extra quiver mount and attached it to my stand and once I get up the tree I remove my Quiver and attach ti to my stand.
good luck
Old 01-08-2004, 09:05 AM

I agree with ya 3 step, too many times new archers are bought into buying everything new and expensive thinking it will help them land a deer. I have a cousin who thinks this works. Yet i wacked a deer this year with a cheap flea market browning bow and COBRA sights and rest.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

I agree that you do not need to buy top-of-the-line everytning, but make sure you have a really good rest and a decent release.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Like everyone said, a lot of things aren't absolutely necessary to have, but they certainly can increase your confidence and possibly your performance as well. Personally, he's a list of the stuff I use and consider necessities:

- Peep sight - I prefer ones with a little bit of a larger hole for better low-light visibility.

- Release - try a few different ones out and figure out which one you like the best. There's a lot of them out there.

- String silencers - personally I'm still using the old muff ball type silencers, but I heard a lot of good stuff about the string leaches.

- Limb savers - my bow is 20 times quieter with them on it. Some bows might be quiet from the factory without them, but you never know.

- Quiver - beats carrying your arrows in your back pocket. Those broadheads are pretty sharp when you sit on them.

- Rest - this one is pretty obvious for those shooting compound bows. However once again, there's a ton of them out there. Take a look at your options, maybe try a few out, and go from there. A $10 stick-on flipper rest will work to kill a deer just as well as a $100 micro-adjustable rest will. It's all personal preference really.

- Sight - Once again, a $15 cobra sight will work just as well as a $100 Toxonics will. If you're going to be doing a lot of hunting you should probably check into one with fiber optic pins. Low light situations are pretty common and you're gonna need every little piece of help you can get in order to make a clean kill.

- Silencing material - one thing everyone will agree on is getting some sort of material on the riser of your bow around your rest and sight window. Just in case your arrow comes off the rest for some reason it will silence the arrow coming in contact with the metal riser. You'd be amazed at how loud that can be in the woods on a quiet morning.

That's pretty much everything I have on my bow. Sure I could live without some of it, but I chose not to. There are plenty of other things to look into like kisser buttons and stabilizers and the different variations of quivers and rests and sights as well. It's all about testing things out, finding what you like, and going from there.

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2004, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: jetblast

This would be a great question for Fred Bear! We modern day bowhunters love our gadgets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ol' Fred's probably rolled so many times,.........just itchin to get one more shot off, with his Ol' Grizzly.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

Anything to quieten you bow is advantageous to you. Sims makes great products.

A strip loop to me is essential. I also use kisser button as another ancor reference.

You don't need a Spot Hogg sight, any decent sight will do. I have a TruGlo and have no problems whatsoever.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:57 PM

not for nothing, i think limb savers are a must, imo, i also use string leeches , cable dampner and insulator strip! the insulator strip is great when it gets cold, you bow fingers won't go numb from holding a ice cold bow!

Quick Reply: bow accesories - what is/isn't needed/useful

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.