Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any more Illinois Deer?

Old 01-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any more Illinois Deer?

Is anyone still having success in Illinois bowhunting?
If so, have your tactics changed?

Just over a week left in the season and I'd love to fill my last Buck tag.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Any more Illinois Deer?

I just got back from my Annual Southern IL hunt. Did not see as many bucks this year as in the past. The first two days we got 4" of rain!!!!!! It was ugly. I did manage to pop a doe on the third day. As the weather cooled down, the deer came out more. Saw plenty of bucks.

I would stick to food sources!!!!! S. IL there are LOTS of acorns still around. Best bet would be to hit corn fields or been fields so long as they have not been plowed under. Look for food, and find the deer.

j
Old 01-06-2004, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

I killed a doe last weekend. All I can say is put yourself in between feed and bed, they aren't gonna wander much. They're all bunched up, so if you see one you aught to see a bunch. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just over a week left and I am still trying to fill one tag!!

I went out lastnight in the 10 degree weather to try and catch them moving to their feeding area. About 20 went by at about 60 yards and about 30 more were farther out in the field. I will try again friday night though!!
Old 01-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Right now its tough. There are a lot near you or none, because of being bunched up. I hunted hard for a week and was seeing several does and two 150" bucks, but they have moved out to another area that features more cornfields and fencerows.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

Haven't seen anything in legal shooting light during the last two weeks.
they are coming to the food just too dark to take one.
I went out tuesday in 10degree weather sat for 2 1/2 hours didn't see anything!
I'm hoping that this cold snap will change their habits.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:17 PM

Hunted northern Kentucky last weekend never saw a hair. Lots of squirrels though. Seen a few does in the clover field at dark.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only thing I've seen is 10 long beards. But I'm headed out tomorrow to try and get one some. Saw over 20 in a corn field on the way home from Champaign tonight.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive been seeing some good bucks ( Just none within shooting range )and lots of does, they have been bedding up close to food sources and hitting the acorns and standing cut corn fields hard, I havent seen very many on the cut bean fields. I have been seeing much more daytime activity of coyotes and have seen them chasing the deer, last week I even rattled in a small buck...go figure.... I thought it was to late to get any response from rattling but figured what the heck give it a try and see what happens.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

I am still hunting too .Trying to fill my either sex tag.I got out Sunday when we got this snow and did some stalk hunting,also used the opertune to look for new sign in the snow.I saw what seemed like some large tracks near one of my favorite stands.I will hunt it Saturday morningAlso seeing many coyotes.I think the yotes brought a deer down the other evening when I was leaving the woods.I arrowed one last year on Christmas day.It seems when the deer are yarding up the yotes start to school up too.Bill D>

Quick Reply: Any more Illinois Deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.