Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting causes heart attack?

Old 01-05-2004, 05:52 PM

Default Hunting causes heart attack?

I was reading Field and Streams today in study hall at school today and came across this article. It talked about hunting causing outragous amounts of heart attacks. It said because of the stuff we put ourselves through. Physicaly and mentaly. Like all the stress and adrenalyn(sp). It said people all ages are having them from it, like 20's, 30's, and 40's. What do you all think about this? You think it's true?
Old 01-05-2004, 05:53 PM

Default RE: Hunting causes heart attack?

lol probabley. I am young, and when i even hear a twig snap my heart just about jumps out of my chest. Much less seeing a lage animal.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:08 PM

i have heard stories from around where i live about an elderly man who died from a heart attack this year while he had a buck in his scopes
Old 01-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

It would be unjust to say that hunting 'causes' heart attacks. Having said that, it is quite possible to experience a heart attack while hunting. There's a difference here. Heart attacks have taken players on a ball field, drivers in a cars--almost in every situation, a heart attack can occour, even while sitting in a church--the most tranquil of places.
This year I lost an old hunting buddy of mine, while dragging his buck out of the woods, he succumbed to a heart attack--and was found lying next to his buck later that day.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Typical Buck

ampahunter,
sorry to hear about your friend.

It is true that alot of heart attacks happen while hunting. If you think about all the work that we do hiking to our stands climbing into the tree and then we sit there for hours not moving and then the BIG BOY walks through and nervousness hits along with the adrenalyn rush thats alot of work being put on the heart. I killed my first deer this year and after I shot I had to sit down and get control of myself before I could climb down, even then it took an hour before I was breathing normal.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe that not being in shape has a lot more to do with heart attack's than the stress of looking down on the critter in front of you. Sure the stress doesn't help but it could happen anywhere .

nubo
Old 01-06-2004, 01:48 AM

Fifteen years ago a good freind in Oregon and his brother decided to start a guide service for elk. Had five attorneys from the bay area as first clients. Lost one from a heart attack after the first day of hunting but he was 71 years old. A second was so stressed out from his buddy dying that he had the same thing happen and fell over dead the next day. He was 56. My buddy had no insurance and gave up guiding. True story and elk hunting in altitude can and will kill you if you are out of shape. Poor guy had years of jokes about bringing two back on his bumper and a 40% success rate etc.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:16 AM

[:@] What a pile of deer crap.....the only thing that causes heart attacks is POOR health!!!!!! If you don't eat right, exercise right & stay healthy then you are liable to a heart attack......hunting of any kind will not cause a heart attack!!!!!!! Brampton Mike[8D]
Old 01-06-2004, 04:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I doubt very seriously if hunters have a higher chance of heart attack, I took a 10 year sabbatical from hunting and got pretty out of shape, even my wife says I am in better shape then I have been in years since I started hunting again. For the most part hunters are in better shape then the average person.

That being said I can see where a hunter who was out of shape could have a heart attack dragging a deer out, especially a big buck, the adreniline has been flowing full bore and then they try dragging the deer out to quickly. I will be honest and say that I have reached the point here this past year of realizing that unless I really take my time I have no business dragging a big buck out anymore by myself.

Percentage wise though I bet hunters have a lower rate of heart attack than the general public. The only exception I can see would be hunters who are not in good enough shape to handle an elk or mulie hunt at altitude.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:55 AM

You want to talk about seeing "where this is leading"! First, it will be determined that the activity "hunting" is a contributing casue of heart attacks. Then it will be determined that hunters burden the medical insurance expenses of all. Followed by a exponential increase in health insurance premiums for "high risk activities". Followed by legislation to decrease society's burden.

Do I need to continue?

As was previously stated.....poor physical conditioning coupled with an immediate overstressing of a deconditioned person.....are contributing causes of heart attacks. (Look how many die of heart attacks each year shoveling snow!)

The lesson to be learned.....condition yourself prior to the exertion. As was once stated to me at the Master Fitness Trainer Course (recognized by American College of Sports Medicine)....U.S. Army. "We don't play sports to stay in shape.....we stay in shape to play sports." The conditioning in a reasonable and structured program provide the "fitness levels" required.....prior to the exertion. As long as we have deconditioned individuals overstressing their hearts....we will have sudden death due to heart attacks.

Of course the lawyers will find someone to sue.....er I mean who is at fault!

Quick Reply: Hunting causes heart attack?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.