Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting causes heart attack?

Old 01-06-2004, 05:22 AM

Default RE: Hunting causes heart attack?

Must stay in good aerobic condition. Heart and lungs must be worked to build this conditioning. Cannot do nothing all year and then expect to go out, stick one, gut one and then haul a deer out of God knows what without asking for trouble. Same as heavy snow shoveling after doing nothing physical all year. Recipe for disaster. Do yourself and your family a favor by staying in aerobic condition. Your hunts will be more enjoyable, you will stay warmer for longer and you will be capable of dragging your game home safely. WARNING; WHEN IN DOUBT/GET HELP WITH THE DRAG/USE MODERN TECHNOLOGY/TAKE MANY BREAKS WHILE RETRIEVING YOUR GAME. JMO, Jim
Old 01-06-2004, 07:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree 100% it's all about the conition you're in related to how hard you tax your body during hunting season. Lets face it, there are (from what I've seen) a lot of out of shape unhealthy hunters out there. These hunters have every bit the derermination and desire as the healthy ones. They are not holding back. Maybe that's the reason for the scewed numbers in the article you read................... There is simply more unfit people hunting than any other sport. You don't read too much about overweight hockey players that smoke a pack of cigs a day and eat regularily at McDonalds.

Good thread though, beware the demands of hunting especially if you're not physically fit.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good thread though, beware the demands of hunting especially if you're not physically fit.
I agree. That on top of that awesome pump you get seeing the deer is too much for some tickers.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:05 AM

I'm healthy, young (26) have a great motabolism and can tell you that when I bow hunt and the first deer i see for the year comes out I think that my heart is about to explode. Being a muscle and all after a good hunt my heart hurts a bit.

As hunters you should stay in shape.

Good Luck
Old 01-06-2004, 01:35 PM

I've never heard of anyone having a heart attack when they see a deer. However I've heard of many heart attacks from hunters exerting too much (normally packing/dragging out a deer) while hunting.

When I lived in Wisconsin the media would always report just the number of fatalities during the gun deer season but leave out that they were almost all from heart attacks.

I'm 40 years old and one of the main motivators for why I wake up early and go to the Y for stairmasters, racquetball, and weight-lifting is because I want to be able to pack/drag my deer out of the woods by myself. At the same time I know two of my hunting partners are older and are not in as good of shape so I constantly remind them to just give me a call and I'll be there to help. I don't want to be the one to find them dead beside the deer they started to drag out.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:09 PM

I personally can think of no better time to go then right after I arrowed a monster. We all have to go, that's inevitable. Might as well going what you love to do right at its peak.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:28 PM

Well my wife says if hunting doesn't kill me then maybe sex will. Now if i had my choice sex while hunting would just be the way to go.
Seriously, you could have a attack while laying in a recliner but keeping yourself in shape and eating correctly will help prevent a lot of health problems.
If the insurance companies can find anything else to raiseour rates on - I can see it now at the bottom of each HUnting license- WARNING HUNTING COULD BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH- my wife use to say that till she heard Brad Paisley sing that famous line, I'm goin miss her when I get home.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:57 PM

luckly im young or i would have died from my heart pounding so hard
Old 01-06-2004, 08:27 PM

ttt
Old 01-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Typical Buck

[quote] I killed my first deer this year and after I shot I had to sit down and get control of myself before I could climb down, even then it took an hour before I was breathing normal.[ /quote]

Congratulations!!!!! Awesome feeling isnt it?

Quick Reply: Hunting causes heart attack?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.