Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

GUTSHOT DEER, WHAT TO DO?

Old 12-27-2003, 08:07 PM

Default GUTSHOT DEER, WHAT TO DO?

I shot a nice buck this evening at around 3 o clock, thiry five yards away, i couldn't tell where the arrow made contact, arrow passed thru completely found clear goo and pieces of digested food i think, looked like maybe some small seeds too on the arrow and fletchings. Deer was broadside at the shot and turned when i shot. deer was facing to my left and spun toward me at the shot. i didnt go looking for it after checking my arrow, im going out in the morning, what chances if any of finding this deer.
Paul
Old 12-27-2003, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: GUTSHOT DEER, WHAT TO DO?

Rattle-M-Up:
Looks like you are in for some fun. The buck will die, did you give him plenty of time before you got outa your treestand? The tracking job you will have is going to be very difficult, you will not find much blood or any blood at all, look for turned over leaves and stomache matter. The deer will die probably in its bed. I have gutshot two deer, and I have both found them in their beds between 100-200 yards from where I originally shot them. The main thing is to get out there tomorrow morning take your time, and find your buck. It will be dead somewhere you just have to find it.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Given that you did not push the deer, and you methodically search the entire area assuming that the blood trail doesnt take you right to it, its a good shot you'll find it. All gut shot deer die..The bacteria from their digestive system quickly makes them ill, and they bed down shortly after being shot, if undisturbed, only to die in their beds. Always give a gut shot deer at least 6 hours. 8, 10 or 12 is better, weather permitting. And dont be frustrated about the lack of blood. There wont be much when the deer is moving. Keep at it until the deer is found..he's down somewhere.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont' give up, Your deer is probably down. Depending on the angle, if you clipped the liver he will probably head for water. I hope that you didn't push him. And it doesn't sound like you did. Don't give up. Let us know how you did.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

As long as you haven't pushed him, and you wait to make sure he's expired, you'll find him. If you shot him a 3 and didn't track him or push him you'll be ok, but wait as long as possible. If you can don't even start looking till 9 or 10 in the morning.

Good Luck!
Old 12-28-2003, 01:06 AM

What they said. Good luck And I am waiting for pics.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Goodluck in finding your deer, I am sure he is down, like everyone said, it sounds like you gave him enough time to expire. I shot one this year in the guts and he only ran about 50 yards and bedded down. I think you will find him within 100 yards. Goodluck and show us some pictures.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:05 AM

I did the same this year and let him lay all night. I shot him around 4:15PM and went after him at 9:00 AM the next day. Found him within 150 yards of the shot still alive but so sick he couldn't move. If you gave him time he will be there as long as he wasn't pushed. Get a group of buddies together and spread out if there is poor tracking sign. That is what happened to me and we found him in 25 minutes. Good luck to you!!!!
Old 12-28-2003, 12:52 PM

GOOD NEWS!!!!! Found my buck this morning, he was actually hit a little better than i thought. I clipped the back of the left lung down through the stomach and out almost at the bottom of the deer. He only went about 60 yards. Good thing because it rained cats and dogs all night, we had zero trail to go by. 7 pointer with about a 15 inch spread, i'll post pics as soon as i get em!! thanks for the input.
paul
Old 12-28-2003, 01:52 PM

Way to go rattle-m-up. We'll be looking forward to some picts.

Quick Reply: GUTSHOT DEER, WHAT TO DO?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.