Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did I hear a Elk bugle???!!!

Old 12-22-2003, 09:28 PM

Default Did I hear a Elk bugle???!!!

I has bow hunting for elk yesterday, and ran into a herd of elk, probabley 15-20 head. I gave chase and cow called, and just about had a heart attack when a big old bull belowed a bugle at me.... he did it twice, and i had about 25-30 cow calls come back at me as i followed.

Has anyone ever heard of elk bugling in december? It was obviously a bull and cows. When i got to the top of the ridge where they had been hanging out i found bloody piss holes. What do you make of this???

And if your wondering.... yes i did get a shot. About 50 yards on the other side of the draw i picked out a big cow, and fired. Heard a thud, and backed off. Came back this morning and found my arrow in a dead log that was behind the elk when i shot. I saw the cow hunch just as i fired, and i am pretty sure i sailed it right over the back.... not by much, prob 2 inches high at max. oh well, you win some you lose some eh?
Old 12-22-2003, 09:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Did I hear a Elk bugle???!!!

Yeah, they can and do sometimes bugle in December. The three elk in my signature were photographed in mid December taking turnes getting out a little penned up stress. All the while they were letting out short bugles, squeales and barks at each other.

Fun, huh???
Old 12-22-2003, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like one of those elk had an infection, possibly a cow with a yeast infection?

It's common to hear bulls bugle year around, every month of the year they're vocal. During the rut it happens to get hot and heavy. Of course cows are the same way, they communicate year around.

It's very possible there's a cow in heat there, one or more of his cows may not have been covered effectively, cows can come into estrus up to 4 times a year, this being the latest that happens. If you can't find the elk next time, try a cow in heat call for location, be very aggressive with it, you never know? elknut1
Old 12-22-2003, 10:19 PM

elk season ends tomorrow... and i can't go... lol but i got meat in the freezer so i am happy over all.

The bugles were not small... they were big, full out bugles. Also there have been some wolf and cougar problems around here. One guy had a wolf get to his elk before he did... to bad. (back end was chewed off!) I think the elk are prob a little stressed with this.