Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting with out a stabilizer?

Old 12-21-2003, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting with out a stabilizer?

Just curious how many of you hunt with out a stabilizer? For years I hunted with one and countless times it got in the way for one reason or another. This year I took my stabilizer off completely and I loved it! My bow shot identical and was lighter! What could be better! When I set-up a new rig for next year it will have to be smooth and shock free without the stabilizer.

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2003, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting with out a stabilizer?

No stabilizer here. I've never used one, but I can definitely see where it would get in the way. Right now I guess I can't justify using one. This way I have one more excuse when I miss a deer
Old 12-21-2003, 09:18 PM

I have always used stabilizers but, when I get my new Liberty, I think that I am just gonna get a Simms Stabilizer Enhancer for the front and back holes. The bow is already so shockfree and quiet that I don't need to add tons of weight, and the stabilizer enhancers should work great. They are light and will take that last TINY TINY TINY twang out of the bow.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:20 AM

i've never used a stabalizer and done fine hunting without it for years. like ranger said ...can't justify getting one now.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't use one either. I personally have never seen the need for one at hunting yardages.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

No stabilizer here. I shoot fine without it and my bow is light as a feather.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:50 PM

I never even thought of shooting my bow without one. Nothing against anyone who doesnt. But they were made for a reason and that is to be screwed onto the bow.JMO like I said nothing against anyone who doesnt.Im pretty sure using a stablizer along with other thing gives me the best chance possible to hit my target. I guess it depends on the person. If your more comftorable without one then thats the best way to go for you.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always use a stabilizer on my hunting bows........I'm for one not a fan of "Ultra Light" bows. The extra mass weight provided by a stabilizer helps steady out my aim considerably.....the trick is finding one that compliments your set-up.
A good stabilizer will not only help your aiming process , many of teh better ones do take quite a bit of any left-over shock , noise, vibration out of the bow when shot.
So now it's doing 3 things for me........making my aim steadier and quieting the bow noise, as well as making the bow more pleasant to shoot.
I want pin-point accuracy when I hunt regardless of yardage, so I shoot hunting set-ups very similar to what I will shoot in 3D competition. I know I shoot a heavier bow better, so my hunting bow is going to on the heavy side.
In my mind the animals deserve the best accuracy I can muster and for me hunting without the aid of a good stabilizer is a disadvantage.
Would I make 99% of the shots that I would make WITH a stabilizer?....probably, but to me the extra cost is worth the piece of mind.

But that's just me........if someone is just as confident in their ability and don't feel like their set-up can benefit from a stabilizer by all means that's the way you should hunt. I personally will always compliment my bows with a good stabilizer that helps the balance and shooting characteristics of each set-up.To me the benefits outweigh the potential negatives but that's something each shooter needs to assess for themselves.

Vaughn , in your case I can completely understand you not hunting with a stabilizer on your set-up. The inherent balance in your 2002 BowTech Patriot dictates that uinless you like an extreme forward tumble, you'd be better with an ULTRALIGHT short stabilizer , no stabilizer at all, or as many shooters did, add back weight in the form of a small heavy stabilizer.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:14 AM

Haven't found the right one yet. I tried a couple, but like my bow without it. I'm sure if I stuck with it and got used to it, it would benefit my set up, but I don't think I need one to hunt.
B
Old 12-23-2003, 10:09 AM

I've always hunted with a stabilizer because the bows I've owned in the past didn't feel right or balance well without one. However, I'll probably be hunting without a stabilizer on the new Liberty, at least until I get some time to experiment a little & find one that feels right.

Matt,
Just curious what you're using for a stabilizer on your new Liberty? My 8" shockblocker worked great on my previous bow but seems to be a bit much for this one.

Quick Reply: Hunting with out a stabilizer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.