Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Antler restrictions - GLOOM or DOOM??

Old 12-18-2003, 02:13 PM

Default RE: Antler restrictions - GLOOM or DOOM??

Just curious, what do you have against more doe harvests.
I understand that PA is basing their target levels on specific mgt units to try and balance between high deer and low deer population areas within this huge state.
In my part, the Wayne county area, there are so many deer that it is typical to see 15-25 or more every morning or evening hunt. While this does add some excitement (never ever a dull moment), I can't imagine this is good either for the deer of anything else.
What do you think....
Old 12-18-2003, 03:17 PM

I agree with Dr. Alt and Chrisvst. We live on 190 acres in Bedford Co. PA (southcentral part of the state). We bought this hill farm in the summer of '03 after it had been settled and farmed by the same family for three generations. Just before the sale of the property, there was a large logging effort to raise capital....clear cut in some areas along ridges. 3-4 years out and most of the oak stumps in the logged areas have sprouts 12" high. Each year the deer just keep mowing them down. No way there will be a forest canapy in 15 years. It truely looks like increased doe harvest is the only way to promote forest regeneration in parts of our state. By allowing young deer, a percentage of which are button bucks, to mature, taking identified mature bucks (>3 pts) and increasing doe harvest, it looks like we can meet several goals. It was mostly spike, 3 pt and 4 pt on our property this year with tons of does and fawns. I am discouraged because it appears that many of our neighbors are willing to overlook antler restrictions. At least that is what they tell me.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just curious, what do you have against more doe harvests.
Since you asked, the increased doe harvest that the game commission is condoning is both right and wrong in my opinion. It is right in that some areas of the state there is significant overbrowsing and a major herd imbalance in regard to the buck to doe ratio.

It is wrong in the way that they are pursuing it. Blanket doe tags for an entire WMU does not address the varying deer populations and hunter turn out on public versus private land. Much of the heavily pressured public land in my area, and other areas of the state, is seeing a decimation of the deer herd...specifically does...because of the increase in doe licenses now available. Meanwhile, the private land which covers a signficantly larger portion of the WMU is underhunted and yet still maintains an overpopulated deer herd of predominantly does.

That is why I am not a big fan of the increased doe harvest. It is not being micromanaged enough.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:24 AM

I love the new rule here in pa. only problem is i know many guys who don't obey it. I think there have been a large increase in the number of larger deer already because i shot my biggest this year and i know of about 3 or 4 other guys who have had the same luck. Also with being able to shot does in rifle season, many people shot a doe and leave thus putting less pressure on those bucks. I think i might try second archery season just to see how many buck are still around. For me, if it has 3 on each antler, i will shot if its the first deer i see. if i have a doe in the freezer already, he will probably get to leave to see another day.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like the idea. Have seen many more "wallhangers" in Pa this year. I have read the conflicting reports about bad genes left to breed. I hope this isn't the case.

I know we are on the bow forum and I had quite a few chances during bow season to tag a legal buck. But none met my personal standards. During Gun season I also let 5 legal bucks walk opening day for the same reason and saw 4 bucks on tuesday 2 were legal that I also let walk. SO I think it is improving and the next 2-3 years will be exciting..Imagine Trophy hunting in Pa. WOW

I do agree with PABowhntr..That something else needs done with the doe allocation.
The sad part of all this is getting the folks to be sure of what they are shooting, because I found 2 dead illeagle bucks in the woods that were walked away from. One was a spike, and one was a pretty nice 4 pt. I'm sure the shooter assumed it had brow tines. Well it didn't and the deer was wasted! Sad !
Old 12-19-2003, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't hunt in PA, but I felt that the point restrictions would be a good idea once it had some time to work. Since this is only year two, the improvement has been significant. Some friends of mine who hunt there every year all came back with much bigger bucks this year than ever before--all from an area known for spikes. One of them got a very nice 14 point.

I wish MD would do something like this. There will be grumbling the first year or two, but the payoff would be worth it.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

So what happens if you make a mistake? I admit that I am not very good
at counting points at 50 yds. I really dont even try, I`ll do my countin
when he`s on the ground.
So, a buck is cruising thru the woods just after first light, 50 yds out,
you have one lane to shoot thru, not much time for counting.

Sounds like AR would promote illegal activity to me.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:31 PM

Let me tell you what happens with minimal point restricitons and unlimited doe permits.

I live and hunt Michigan. We are allowed 2 bucks, first one must have 3" or longer spikes, 2nd buck 4 or more on one side. Many counties give out damn near unlimited doe permits.

Before I go on I must say that I am not againest doe harvest. In fact I believe it is an integral part of a herd management program. In MI the DNR just uses it as a revenue source. Our deer population is hurting in many areas. I feel it is because of the harvest of to many does. The bucks you see in Michigan are for the most part small. Not many make it past the 2-3 year old range. In fact that is an old dear. Not chance to develop antlers.

Our herd has been estimated at 1.8 million for the past 3 years, bull. That is used to get hunters to by tags. I wish the MI DNR would wise up, not give in to public demand and put a true antler restriction in place.

I love to hunt, I love to eat venision. But I sure would like to see some large deer.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

i would like oklahoma to lower the buck bag limit and let the hunters choose for themselves if the spike is worth the tag.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:58 AM

Indiana......If in doubt, you just don't shoot. It's one of the cardinal rules of hunting really. If you can't positively identify your target then you have no shot. It's that simple.

Quick Reply: Antler restrictions - GLOOM or DOOM??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.